Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup Question Acoustic Guitar related

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I do setups for myself and a few friends. Recently one of my friends started having problems with his acoustic guitar and gave it to me for adjustments.

The high E was dead all the way up meaning it would play the same note no matter where you fretted. This was because the string was laying against the frets all the way up.

The low E was extra "buzzy" but played all the frets correctly all the way up to where the neck joined the body. At that point two frets play the same note and then returns to normal.

All other strings although buzzing slightly are normal.

I sighted the neck and it seems to have a slight slope up right where the neck joins the body. (Very slight). Either way I decide to add some relief so the high E isn't sitting on the frets all the way up the neck. The truss rod nut was very tight and required a little pull to try and loosen. I turned a quarter turn and let it sit overnight so as to not overdo it.

At this point the bottom three frets of the high E string play the notes they are supposed to and then it's the same all the way up the neck. Two quarter turns later (and two nights later) it appears to be in the same condition (bottom three frets on high E are OK but the rest of the neck plays the same note. Low E is still buzzy but fine up until the neck joins the bottom. Then two frets with the same note and then back to normal.

Is this suggestive that more relief is needed or is there something more that needs done. The guitar is only one year old. It was fine up until about a mopnth ago when he said it started to buzz bad, then within a week the high E was playing the same note all the way up the neck.

Any idea what could cause this to happen?

Thanks in advance.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

It sounds like the truss rod did something weird like slipping or something. The instrument definitely needs to be checked out by a good repair tech. If a glue joint has failed, string tension should be relieved.

3. And that's all for this g****r post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.