1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setup question for connecting an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and (2) SWR Goliath III's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afailedescape, Mar 15, 2013.

1. afailedescape

afailedescape

Dec 9, 2008
    I need some help from the best people I know to ask... bass players!! I have an Ampeg 4 Pro and use it with (2) SWR Goliath III's. I've always just used 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables. Lately, I have been thinking I've been doing it wrong all this time!! I don't feel I have been getting the most out of my amp! I'm wanting more power! I know I need to make the switch to Speakon cables, but I am really unsure what to purchase. Do they have to be Mono Speakon cables? And, do I run a cable from amp A to one cab, and amp B to the other? OR... Do I run a cable from the amp mono out, and then a cable from one cab to the other? I really appreciate all feedback on this! Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The amp doesn't care if you're using 1/4" or speakon. Speakons are only used because amps over 500w can pose a shock hazard if you accidentally touch the barrel of a 1/4" jack while plugging in or out. But yes, the best way to do two Goliaths is amp A to speaker A, amp B to speaker B. And crank that gain and ignore the light! The light is an input light, not a clipping light, but some people think it's a clip light and should never come on when in reality it should be lit up pretty well before you hear audible distortion. Last time I used a 4 Pro, I had the gain on 3:00 and it was still clean.

3. Check the manual. I run a 4 pro too and there are some interesting little things you need to do for different setups. For instance, the mono bridged speakon is wired differently (don't remember exactly what it is but you can find it with a simple google search), you can run biamped but you need 2 patch cables to jump a couple things together in the back of the head.