1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ubergumby, Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ubergumby

ubergumby

Nov 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've got 2 reasons for this thread:
    1) I want to show off my cool stuff to people who will apreciate it :)
    So I'm sure you all recognize the pedals. The two rack mount units are a Wounded Paw Black Sheep preamp. Super awesome OD, lots of tweakability and features.
    Below that is a custom made 4 channel effect blender, also from Wounded Paw effects. TONS of signal routing options for the 4 channels. Just got it in today and it's obviously not all setup. I'm a few patch cables short now that I've got so many more connections to make.
    On to my second reason for this thread:
    I am going to try out both ways myself, but I'm asking for advice and opinions from you guys. The preamp has its own effects loop in it. I'm wondering, would it be "better" to put the blender in the loop of the preamp, or to have the preamp be in one loop of the blender? I'm thinking of putting the blender in the loop of the preamp and setting it to series routing with the signal from the OD going into the blender, or I can turn the OD section off and have the preamp send a clean signal into the blender.
    Any ideas/suggestions will be apreciated! Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

CHILDISHGAMBINO and nshuman like this.
  2. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    WWWJWWW
    Very cool stuff. I love my Blender v4, cool to see a rack version.

3. ubergumby

ubergumby

Nov 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yea, Preston is the man and made me a custom one. He added a few extra routing options as well.

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    WWWJWWW
    So, how do you like the preamp?

5. I've been very interested in the Black Sheep pre-amp for a long time, but I don't want to get into rack effects.

So...
    A) Highly interested in what you've to say regarding the pre-amp itself, as you're the first/only person I know to have one;
    B) Since Preston made you a Blender-in-a-rack, then maybe he'll make me a Deluxe Black Sheep-in-a-stompbox. (Yes I'm aware of the Black Sheep pedal, but it's nowhere near the tweaker level of the rack unit)

As to how to route everything:
    A) Depends on what you want – if your core sound is always going to be the Black Sheep then put stuff in its loop, or after it 'cause who says you need to use its loop and use the Blender for other stuff. If a dry clean sound is needed at any time then I'd put the BS (<— that didn't come out right!) Black Sheep in the Blender;
    B) There are people here who have far greater and better knowledge of routing, so hopefully they'll chime in, after taking anything I've said with a proverbial grain of 100% pure natural sea salt.

So, how do you like the preamp?

6. ubergumby

ubergumby

Nov 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The preamp is awesome! I can really dial in the OD that I want, the pre gain option really opens it up. And then tweaking the individual frequency bands allows me to make sure there is plenty of low end, but at the same time get that higher end 'bite'. Having the different routing options for the effects loop is a neat feature. The 3 way switch allows series with the OD before or after the loop, or parallel. And then at the end, a clean volume section with the two band eq keeps a nice clean blend. Add in a headphones jack and a tuner out, as well as a DI AND balanced/unbalanced outputs gives tons of connection options. I am but a bedroom player, so I don't really utilize it to it's full potential, but it's nice to be kind of 'future proof' if you will. The only downside that I've run into is that it can be a little difficult to get the mix right between the volume of the 3 sections (OD, loop, clean). But that is a pretty minor problem and easy to deal with.
    All in all an awesome piece of gear. Pricey, I paid right around $650 from Wounded Paw. But Preston(the owner I'm guessing) is a SUPER cool guy to work with. He accomadated my special request to add a few LEDs to the preamp. Also he made me that rack mount blender, which was a total custom job. It was based on his pedal design, but again he accomadated special requests for a few more routing options. I haven't dug in with the blender quite yet, I'm still short a few cables to get my other pedals all hooked in Once I get that taken care of I will write more about that.

So as far as my original question, I'm thinking to put the blender in the loop of the preamp. This way I can send my OD signal into everything, or keep it clean still. I'll let you guys know how it all works out. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

7. :wideyed: "GADZOOKS!" as my Grandma would say.

That's an extremely versatile bit of kit! You've done nothing to help alleviate any GAS for it. :spit:

Looking forward to when you've tinkered more with the rack Blender and detailing what custom tweaks Preston added to it for you.

AWRSUM! :hyper: