Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robot-trashcan, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Right now I have an SWR rig and some extra cash.

Here's the rig:
    (1) SWR Interstellar Overdrive Preamp
    (1) SWR sm400s (500 watts @ 4 ohms bridged)
    (1) SWR Goliath III Jr. (2x10)
    (1) SWR Big Ben (1x18)

Would it make more sense to add, lets say another 2x10's cabinet or trade the sm400s in for a higher powered power amp ? Suggestions? Right now I'm looking into used stuff just to save some cash if that makes a difference. Talk people 'cuz I know you're there.
  2. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    The way I see it is to look at where you think your rig is lacking, then decide where to put your hard-earned. If its sound then look at whether you think its top,mid or bottom thats wrong and maybe add a speaker in that range, taking care with the ohms of course. If its volume then adding an extra speaker would help but upgrading the amp would be better as long as the speakers can handle it. I played an SWR900 at the weekend, a house rig, which has all the bi-amping facilities too, which could tailor your sound again. Whatever you do you cant go wrong with SWR, awesome kit and next on my list when I've saved some!!
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You've got a nice rig. SWR is good stuff. I personally would put the extra money into more power. I don't think you can ever have too much power.Since you're using a 1x18 you're probably gigging in some fairly large rooms and the extra headroom would be very welcome. Sometimes, in a large room 400 watts shows the strain.
  4. Thanx for the replies people. It's not that I don't like my rig, but I just have some extra money (basically just enough for a used power amp or cab) laying around and I always like upgrading (I guess I'm a compulsive bass gear buyer) if it will make my sound better. I'm leaning on a new power amp (probably an SWR 800 or Crown powerbase 2 or 3)to really pump my 18" and really intensify my sound.
  5. I think you're suffering from GAS, I recognise the symptoms!