Setup rack DBX166A compressor and pedalboad

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamakiBass, Apr 12, 2020.

1. SamakiBass

SamakiBass

Apr 5, 2020
    Hello everyone! I recently bought an old DBX166A rack compressor and I need your help to properly hook up it to my current rig.

I have an old 90s USA Ampeg SVT-3 PRO and a pedalboard. Before to buy the compressor, I used to plug my bass directly through the pedals and then straight to the amp input but I was never really satisfied with the final results.

Now that I have this rack compressor I just started making experiments and this is my current setup:
    A) Bass (Ibanz ATK 300) -> SVT input
    B) On the rear: SVT Fx Loop Send -> Dbx ch.1 -> pedalboard -> Dbx ch.2 -> SVT Fx loop return.

Ch.1 is set with a pretty strong compression (medium threshold, ratio 4:1) while I use the ch.2 in a softer way (low threshold, ratio 1,5:1) just to handle the noisy stuff in the board, expecialy using the great Gate control, properly adjusted, so it significantly reduces the noise of the distortion pedals, almost killing it completely.

Also, I run my pedals in this order: Korg tuner, Boss OB-2 Octaver, Fulltone Full-Drive 2 OD, Mooer Fog Fuzz, MXR Bass Envelope Filter, a vintage Rocktron CC half rack/pedal chorus and a Boss DD7 delay.

Do you think this setup is "correct" or maybe should I try to rewire and reposition the whole thing?

Thanks for your time and have a great Easter day :) IMG_20200410_005623_166.jpg IMG_20200410_172715_659.jpg

Attached Files:

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    I'd put the envelope filter before the comp...
    Otherwise it's a matter of experimentation...

3. SamakiBass

SamakiBass

Apr 5, 2020
    I totally understand your point, as I tried to do this in the very first experiment. But in the end I just noticed that putting it AFTER the OD and Fuzz was the better option for me since I often use both the distortion and the envelope together, and in this combination they sounds waaaay better to my ear! Otherwise I should run like almost my entire pedals BEFORE the DBX and the dual channel ends up being useless...

4. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    I don't think so...
    In my board, I tried comp after the fuzz and that sounded awful!
    I finished with:
    Tuner, Q-tron, valve preamp/OD, comp, Fuzz, octave, Noise-Gate, pitchfork, phasers, chorus, volume, reverb & amp...

5. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    It might be worth trying putting channel 1 of the DBX in front of the amp, and then use channel two in the effects loop, and after anything else that is in the effects loop.

ie Bass>DBX ch 1>SVT> Effect send>Pedal board>DBX ch 2> Effect Return.

That will keep the noise gate at the end, and help keep your noise down, as well as letting you set a little light compression before your preamp.

I’d compare that to how you have it setup now, and see which sounds better.

6. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    I think you should have the gate just after the noises pedals but before the modulations ones...
    Q filter works with playing dynamics so should be used before the comp that levels all.

7. SamakiBass

SamakiBass

Apr 5, 2020

In that case do I need to use a DI box/pedal preamp to plug the bass straight into the dbx as it works at line level?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022