Setup routine?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicoli, Mar 3, 2004.

1. I'm relatively new to doing setups, I've gone through it maybe 2-3 times now since I changed string gauges and started using different tunings so I had to learn how to fix the problems it caused. I'm just wondering what kind of routine you guys go through, the things you check and adjust - just want to make sure I'm not missing anything critical.

I usually do truss rod, action, intonation, and p/up height.
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    That's pretty much the same routine that I go through. Also, check the electronics every so often for loose wires, cracked solder, etc.
  3. That's the proper order.
  4. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    don't forget the nut - generally a one-time procedure, not in the 'routine,' but key to a good setup.
  5. Here's some other things you can include either routinely or on occasion:

- Tighten all of the screws on the instrument from headstock to tailstock. Just like cars, things loosen.

- Use a compressor or aircan to blow out under pups and through pots and around the bridge. You'd be surprised what you'll find.

- Do a nice fretboard cleaning with the potion of your choice.

- Replace the battery in an active.

- Slightly bend the postive prong on the input jack to tighten it's grip on your cable.

And finally, while you do your next setup and have the neck off or the pickguard off, go ahead and photograph the innards and record the serial number for safekeeping.
  6. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Hambone, Could you give more info on bending the input jack? How you do it, how much bend, etc., etc.? Maybe scan in a pic. Would bending the female contacts work as well? Thanks for the info.
  7. It IS the female "jack" that gets massaged. The "male" end is called the plug.

Just find the metal finger that contacts with the tip of the plug (all under the pickguard) and slightly bend that in towards the plug. Not a lot, just a tweak to make it more firm.
  8. Thanks Hambone, a couple things I wouldn't have thought of there. I usually do a fretboard cleaning when I change strings, which is generally about a day before my neck starts to do weird things and requires the setup.