1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

setup techs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dawkinzz, Jan 2, 2007.

1. I just got a new Warwick, FNA discontiued model, its 8 years old, in great condition, but i would like it checked and tweaked to make sure its ok. I'm very sceptical of the place ive used before as im not confident that they do a gd job, becasue if they did a bad job, could it not result in slowly damaging the bass over time? i have no experience in seting up myself so they could be doing a fine job, what do i need to look for that may be a major problem upon reciving the bass from the tech guy?

also, how much of a bend should the be on the neck? how much is too much??

2. yer, ive been asking around tonite, hopefully get some feedback from them.

I was just worried that maybe a poor setup may result in my bass being damaged, but seen as this is not the case, will a poor setup result in merely poor playability?

would a setup also incorporate a check-up? to make sure eveything is how it should be?

thank you very much for your help :)

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I would include a fingerboard cleaning if the strings were being changed. A minor cleanup of the body and bridge as well. And I would adjust the tension on the tuners if they had such an adjustment. Finally I would size up any other work that might be needed (electronics, etc.) and provide a rough estimate to suit. Others might not provide these additional services, but it's part of my standard setup. But I have to admit, my setup prices are not the cheapest.

4. Ok i found two places recommended to me on my local music forum, one place sends them away and u have to let go for about 1 week - 2 weeks....but im not so keen on that idea, it is my baby after all....however one guy suggested this guy who does it for him, ive got his details so i will giv him a ring!

before i do though, does a guitar have to be awa for a certian amount of time, i mean if it was just a standard set-up, he could just do it there while im waiting?

thank you for all your help :)

5. but my problem is trusting them i guess, maybe seen as this guy is recomended so he should be good, and therefore i can relax.