Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup "tricks" my teacher showed me...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by thrash_jazz, Aug 19, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thought I'd share a couple of these, even though some of you probably know them already.

First of all, I have hardwood floors in my apartment, and thus my bass slid around all the time due to endpin cheapness. At my teacher's suggestion, I got a hockey puck (How Canadian is THAT? :D ) dug an endpin-shaped hole in it with a screwdriver, and et voila. No more sliding.

Another tidbit I have been fed is that rubbing alcohol works wonders at getting rid of that nasty black fingerboard paint that many of us have to deal with...

2. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    You take lesson from Geggie right? He's the only bass player I've ever seen who uses a hockey puck, and he teaches/plays in Ottawa.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I do indeed. He is a great teacher.

4. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    One trick I use: when I'm using an amp, I wrap the patch cord around the tailpiece once or twice, then plug it in. That way, if the patch cord were to be pulled, stuck, etc. it wouldn't be unpluged.

5. But don't you worry about what may happen to the tailpiece? That seems like you could wind up with big problems if someone stepped on or tripped on the cord with enough force.
    Anyway, if you happen to use a Fishman BP-100 I recomend applying double stick tape to the elements and placing them on the top of the bass just behind the bridge feet. Nice amped tone, not thin and hollow because you are getting the tone from the top not the bridge.

6. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Heh, wow, that was cool that THIS many people know of geggie.. he also teaches in northern NY (crane school of music) which i hope to possibly attend.

Anyway, i'm pretty new to owning my own bass, but one LITTLE trick i learned, was if you have an endpin that comes to a point then has a rubber stopper on the end, you can take off the rubber stopper, put a little metal washer in it, then put it back on.. this stops the point from eating through the rubber end.

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I don't know if it is a trick but by teacher justs stabs the end pin in the floor- no stoppers no boards no hockey puck, just the end pin. He just plants it in the floor and plays. Yes the stage gets pock marked but who cares I don't have to refinish the stage.

Joe