Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by H2ODog, Feb 21, 2004.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    What would be considered a fair price to do a setup on a five string bass? I’m thinking of having it done to my bass and was wondering what i should expect to pay for a pro to do the job.

2. It would depend on how much he's got to do beyond the usual trussrod, nut, pup height, intonation and new strings. These things would be a good deal at about $35 in my area but can go as high as $50 in some places. If there's nuts to cut, saddles to cut, neck shimming, it might be more.

Always a good reason to learn it on your own!

3. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I was quoted $70 over the phone by a local shop. I don't know if it's excessive.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I agree with HB. I was always afraid to touch the trussrod but know I've learned to so setups and frankly I love doing it.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Agree with Hammy and DonZ - I always do my own set-ups because I like mine more than any tech's.

But there was one time I had a trussrod that was metric, plus, I just couldn't seem to get the action optimized - (moreover, I didn't have a metric Allen wrench). The tech charged $35.

But cost-of-living in your area could drive the price higher.

6. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Where is a good site to find information on doing your own setup? I would like to read abou it and if it's not too complicated i might try it myself.