1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

setups in charlotte, nc

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BuckeyeBass, Dec 10, 2006.

1. BuckeyeBass

BuckeyeBass

Nov 3, 2006
    I just moved to the area and was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to get work done on basses in charlotte.

2. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I guess it depends on the work you want done, I think the GC could probably be a good place to get a set-up. Also Hames music in Gaffney (about an hour down 85 in SC) is a big store and could probably help you out. There is also a Sam-ash in Charlotte that might be able to help, but again it depends on what work you want done.

3. Somehow I would not trust a set-up from GC, I am sure that some stores have really good techs, but :rollno:

4. Yeah, I think Id pass on GC. Try and find a small shop that is privately owned and talk to their tech and see if he seems knowledgeable. If you dont mind a drive, or shipping the bass, check out Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh. I drop in there every once in a while, and all their basses are set up great. Theyre also really friendly guys as well.

5. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Actually the Charlotte GC is one of the few who have contracted their repair and set up work out to a local luthier. Cotter Guitars does all GC's repairs and setups and they are one of if not the best in town.Save a few bucks and call them directly...704 568 8899
    Chris does some of the best fret work Ive seen as well...

6. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Good to know. I tried checking out their website but it only has a list of what they do, but it looks like a cool shop. Has anyone seen one of their custom models? Do they make basses?

7. BuckeyeBass

BuckeyeBass

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I think i will give the charlotte gc a call.

8. Thats cool, Id go to that place then.

9. justinf

justinf

Sep 24, 2006
    Pat Walters: 704-607-6227
    Landau Guitars in Harrisburg: 704-455-7316

I've heard good things about Cotter too.

10. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Chris is building his first cst bass...a 6 string. Havnt seen it yet. Let you know if I do

11. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    FWIW, I've had Cotter do set-ups and he did just fine.

12. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Very cool

Looks like we have a pretty good showing from the Charlotte area..always good to know.

13. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    in a few months I'll know of another place worth recommending ;)

all the best,

R