1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seven at 189 with T.O.B. 11/9/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Nov 11, 2018.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm not getting out much these days. This is only my second gig in roughly six months. I love playing this place though - 189 in East Aurora, NY. They have a real stage, real sound system, and a great sound guy. It's a really nice place.

I had a great week of practice leading into the gig, and played better than I have in ages. That felt good. Health has been impacting me being as sharp as I like too lately. On this night I was on it.

I didn't get any pics of it, but the wife I caught a pizzeria 5 minutes to closing on the way home and cleaned out the remainder of their slices. My favorite post game meal is cheap pizza and good beer.

Now the pics.

After years of buying/trading/selling - I'm finally happy with my upright rig.
    20181111_075809.

Had some issues with my DI and monitor during setup. Apparently someone else plays there during the week, and had cables running all over the place where they weren't intended. Luckily the sound guy is no nonsense problem solver (also a good local musician as well). He got it sorted out quickly.
    20181109_203704.

The merch table in all it's glory. We sold a handful of discs. Also some people treated it like a tip jar, even though it was a paid gig.
    20181110_085504.

Almost all set. A few tweaks to the banjo. Are banjos ever in tune?
    20181109_203636.

Matt and I taking our queues from each other during blues numbers while Nate whales on the harp. Also the stage camera angled at my backside. Ladies, try to contain yourself.
    20181109_220814.

Whiskey.
    20181110_085434.

Matt and Nate intertwining guitar licks.
    20181110_085406.

The fridge ain't ours. Unfortunately one of the owners kids or something like that is allowed to rehearse there, and the extra gear on the stage takes up a lot of room. We carry a lot of gear - several guitars, banjo, harps, accordion, fender 2x12, my rig and bass, etc. Luckily we've played in impossibly tight quarters together over the years at this point, so anything bigger than a phone booth works for us. Still a great stage either way though.
    20181110_085616.

Some banjo, some two part harmonies, some guy the size of defensive lineman playing the bass!
    20181110_085901.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Jimmy4string, SWRnut, nixdad and 29 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Nice report. I've just subbed you guys on YouTube...really great band!

nixdad, McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the great pics! Where is Sanborn, anyway? Nice to see that upright gettin' a good workout!

McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  4. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Thank you. We're streaming on Spotify and all the usual places. I play on the latest two albums.

MCF, Oddly, S-Bigbottom and 2 others like this.
  5. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Sanborn is in western NY. 'Bought 20 minutes north of Buffalo. Farm country.

nbsipics likes this.
  6. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just put you guys on my Spotify. Nice!

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  7. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Awesome ty

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Looks like a nice place to play, lots of character. You guys tear it up!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Cool photos Jay. TOB is such a fun outfit. :)

Matt looks a lot like a young Levon Helm. :cool:

Gotta be the best use of a behind-the-band-tv-screen ever. :thumbsup:

Jeff Elkins and sevenyearsdown like this.
  10. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Good report! Looks like a cool place to play. Just checked your web site good tunes.

11. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I’d be a little chafed at the 8x10 being in the way.
    But that is a nice room.

12. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    As always thanks everyone for the kind words. Here is the post Thanksgiving tour schedule for anyone down south.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Like what I heard. So much so I bought your Great Beasts digital album just now. :thumbsup:

Thx for the gig report. :)

14. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Thank you for supporting!

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Wasn’t just for support although I’m always happy to see one of us out there doing it. I also genuinely liked the music. So let me thank both you and your band too!

MCF, McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  16. My hometown. Did you go next door for the best wings in the world? I’ve played that stage too, nice place.

17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Rig looks good! A Sansamp Para + Ampeg 2x10 = 100% of a good thing. Looks like a great night out, and tonight I wore a hat to rehearsal that was apx 67% as cool as yours there.

Otw to bed now but I'm gonna have y'all on my workday spotify playlist tomorrow.

sevenyearsdown and Sore Thumb like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  19. BadBud3

BadBud3

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm coming to see ya'll in Tallahassee.

20. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Bar Bill. The beef on weck! Sitting at the bar while they're carving that stuff up in front of you......cant not have one!

lermgalieu likes this.