1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seven at the Geneseo Riviera Theater - 5/4/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jay Corwin, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Friday night I got the chance to play the nicest room of my illustrious dive bar career. This gig was supposed to go off last month, but we got hit with a nice ice storm that canceled everything from Buffalo to Rochester in NYS.

The venue was the Riviera Theater in Geneseo, a big college town south of Rochester. The building is over 100 years old, but is completely restored. The pictures don't do it justice. I planned on taking more pics, but I got caught in blinding rain - soaked head to toe just getting inside the venue.....so I was a little off my game with camera. We had a green room.....which I forgot to photograph. Also, because of the rain I didn't get any outside shots of the building.

In any event, it was an awesome room, and a great gig. Wish they all stacked up like this one.

Here is my haul for the night. I packed every cable known to man, and we ended up using almost everything. We ran sound with a combination of all of our gear to get it done. Packing up XLR's at the end wasn't fun!
    20180504_100314.jpg

A shot from the stage during setup.
    20180504_172848.jpg

I had to take a picture of the wall paper. My grandparents had the same stuff in one room when I was a kid, but it was maroon and gold instead of the green.
    20180504_212849.jpg

A view from the balcony. Interesting with old buildings and such - the railing there was about shin high. It wasn't stopping anyone from tipping over it.
    20180504_173146.jpg

Sound check complete. We had a ton of stuff going on that we don't normally do. 2 acoustic guitars, 1 electric, 1 banjo, keys, bass, drums, electric amp, acoustic amp, bass amp, lots of DI's, drum set all mic'd.......it was ambitious but we pulled it off. We were still sound checking when the doors opened.
    20180505_003307.jpg

My rig, just because.
    20180505_001941.jpg

The drummer and I stepped off for a few, then came back one at a time announced. First as a trio with the brothers and myself, the whole ensemble to close out the show.
    20180504_212618.jpg

And finally the whole gang. I'm still waiting for more band shots to trickle in through social media and the likes.
    FB_IMG_1525637279883.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Jay,

What a cool looking room! Looks like a place that would sound good too. Especially with your instrumentation. Speaking of which, lugging an upright in the rain is no fun. Hope it wasn't windy. That doubles the pleasure. ;)

My grandparents had a sofa with that pattern in gold and white. :D

Love your stage setup with the lamps. Very homey.

OldBassman likes this.
  3. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    It did sound great in there, even with a modest PA.

McG likes this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Very Cool!! (Your amp needs to be a little taller, though. ;) )

OldBassman likes this.
  5. Funn! Thanks!

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Nice looking theater. Nice gig. I like your vertical 4x10. This seemed like a lot of extra work for you but I'll bet it was a blast. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence ,

BassCliff

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  7. When I think of a light show, that isn't typically what I think of. :D

Nice gig report.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  8. The lamps are cool. I played a party outside a thrift store once. The owner let us bring out whatever we wanted to decorate the stage. I got a big comfy chair, someone else got a love seat and we had end tables and lamps. It was fun. The drummer was kind of left out though.

McG likes this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Reading lamps are a nice touch.

McG likes this.
  10. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Lamps.
    20180507_181146.jpg

BassCliff and McG like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021