1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seven of eight B410 speakers blown by B600 amp (Acoustic)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larryscrub, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    I bought this Acoustic amp and two speaker cabs (B600 & 2 B410s) almost-new less than two years ago. Took it in yesterday because I knew some of the speakers were blown. They tell me 7 of 8 speakers are blown. Why would this happen, and what can I do to avoid it in future?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It happened because you turned your amp up too loud for the speakers to handle. How to prevent it in the future? Turn down.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Do you use overdrive or distortion? Kick that gain/level up a little too high and it will tear into speakers. Add a Low B into that mix and it goes up quite a good bit.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    7 of 8 speakers blown????

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!

PS / I blew the speaker on my Crate 15" combo. Wah pedal fully treble into disortion into chorus and then delay. Cranked up loud. No idea how it blew. ;)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Basically, ANY amp is capable of blowing ANY speaker cab. The RMS rating on the cab is misleading. Depending on how you eq the amp, and how loud you play, you can blow a speaker cab rated at HALF the power you think you're using.

6. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Did you keep using it after you knew ONE of the speakers was blown? *boggled*

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If that were the case then one of those cabs wouldn't be making any useful sound at all.
    +1.

8. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    I was just told by my speaker repair man that the speakers were cheaply made Chinese speakers and that most of them didn't "blow" in a traditional sense, but just "quit." Perhaps poor soldering, etc.

9. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I use a pair of the B410s with an Aguilar DB750 and a 6 string at some pretty impressive levels over the past couple years. I can not imagine how loud it was to blow! I've played gigs w no PA support and still not even close to blowing.

10. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    I've always played through fifteens before, and would eventually blow them after a few years, but this surprised me.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You don't get it...you are putting too much power into your cabs. Speakers don't just eventually blow. I've got a 20 year old cab out in my garage with the original speakers and it still sounds as good as it ever did. While you can have defective speakers sometimes, there is no way in hell 7 out of 8 speakers were defective.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds to me like you have a history of running more power to cabs than they can handle based on that statement.

13. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    I have a loud drummer.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You need more speakers.

This 810 thing should've fixed that. Pending some bad manufacturing run, I really doubt 7 blew all at once. It's more likely that 1 or maybe 2 went out and you didn't notice. When you keep playing it like that, it will take out the rest.

15. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    Sounds about right.

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Get your drummer a drum shield. No one should play that loud.

17. Larryscrub

Larryscrub

Jan 4, 2012
    That's what my grandma said.

18. Ok but when you upgrade your speakers enough for the drummer you could blow your ears :)

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Moderator Insert:

I got paged in here to review this thread.
    I don't see anything out of line, yet, but, it's on my radar now.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't you have a birthday to celebrate???

:D

Who the hell would report this thread? Sensitive freakin' people, I'll tell ya!