Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seven string pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, Jan 12, 2006.

1. is there any one who sells pickups that would work on a seven string bass. iam building a seven string right now and cant find any.

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Yes, there are many chap.

If you are going for a slim string spacing, even some off the shelf soap bars will actually fit. usually of a j bass type or single/dual bar types.

Bartolini springs to mind, but other manufacturers such as Nordstrand and Aero carry 7 string pups.

Seymour Duncan will make you some, but it will be expensive. EMG's DC,TW and J style '45' pups will work on a close spacing, 16mm. There are various luthiers who would be able to help out with other brands. I have emailed Michael Tobias and Bill Conklin about similar subjects and had helpful and speedy replies.

I'm sure there are many other pups, but these are the ones just quickly off the top of my head.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Bartolini's for sure.

-Mark

4. I have some Bart G67s for 7 string. Other ones to look at are Nordstrand, Bass Culture and Delano. I have been quoted prices by these guys and they are much cheaper than what I was quoted from either Seymour Duncan or Aero.

I had a pair of Nordstrand Fat Stack 8s wound to my exact string spacing specs at the pickup locations (the pole pieces match perfectly) for less than a third of what I was quoted from Seymour Duncan and less than half of what Aero quoted. The Delano and Bass Culture quotes were very similar to the Nordstrand quote.

You might want to check out Chris Benavente, he winds pickups for resale as well.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    BassCulture made the pickups for my Listerud 7, for a nice price. They sound very good! And, he'll make pickups to whatever specs you like.
    [​IMG]

6. could some one recomend a site for makeing pickups

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, but it is more complicated than you'd think.
    So much trial-and-error is included until you find something that works, that IMO it's easier just to buy.

8. i understand ur point. i should of made it clear that i just wanted to learn to make pickups to mess around/have fun like a hobby.