1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seven w/ T.O.B. @ The Bug Jar 4-24-19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jay Corwin, Apr 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    We played our favorite Rochester haunt last night opening for Ratboys. I'll admit I'm the old guy, and had never heard of Ratboys, but the joint was full on Wednesday night. They are popular with people much younger than myself.

We played as a 4 piece (with a guest 5th), and had a great month of rehearsal leading up. The set was near perfect. We were hitting on all cylinders, and the drummer is excellent. It was the kind of gig that makes me want to keep playing more gigs.

Food: I had a protein bar and red bull on the 1.5 hour drive from Sanborn to Rochester. I had a beer for some carbs at the gig.

Matt finding something funny during soundcheck. We were all cutting up quite a bit tonight. The mood was great. This particular lineup has a real chemistry.
    20190424_204122.jpg

Checking levels. The sound guy was excellent on this night.
    20190424_203947.jpg

Sound check is done. Instruments down. Time to grab a beer.
    20190424_205244.jpg
    20190424_205222.jpg

First time playing live with Brian on drums. He's excellent, and a listener and adjuster. We were talking to each other all night through our instruments. He's also the drummer in Sean's jazz group (see below), and a couple of other bands.
    30948.jpeg

Cast a large shadow.
    30953.jpeg

Our buddy Sean joined us on trumpet for Harbor Song from our upcoming record. He was in my old time band, has his own jazz group, and plays in a handful of other outfits. He's an incredible musician, and incredibly humble about his own abilities. He makes a couple of different appearances on the new record.
    30960.jpeg

I'm almost clipping the lighting with the end pin out!
    30963.jpeg

Hitting the bridge.
    30956.jpeg

2. That first picture... "Honey, I shrunk the keyboard!"

MrLenny1, nixdad, JimK and 1 other person like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @sevenyearsdown,

Groovy place. Do I see monitors flying from the ceiling? For some reason that's always weird for me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  4. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Yes ceiling monitors. Usually not a good sound experience at this venue, but they had a different sound guy last night that was great.

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  5. Throw in a trumpet and i auto love your band!
    NOW if someone would just bust out with some Herb Alpert!
    This gig looks fun! Thanks

nixdad and sevenyearsdown like this.
  6. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    YaY Jay! What a great time in a cool room. We all live for those special ones. And this one was well documented with excellent photos.

nixdad and sevenyearsdown like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like a nice, intimate room and a fun gig. Thanks for sharing!

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    The big guys, get the big instruments. In grade school, when they were handing out instruments, I got the cello. :confused:

McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Nice joint, I think.
    That keyboard is smaller than a Farfisa. lol
    Thanks for sharing.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021