Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by embellisher, Oct 4, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! I forgot how good this album was.

I lost my copy about a year ago, and had never gotten around to buying a new one.

My drummer and best friend overheard me walking about missing the album and wanting to get a new copy, and bought it for me.

It is the newer, remastered version, and it is an enhanced CD with a couple of music videos and some other stuff. I haven't gotten around to the ROM stuff, because I can't stop listening to the CD in my car!

IMHO it is truly Maiden's strongest album, from start to finish. There are no throwaway songs on it.

2. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Ahhh...the good ole days of Iron Maiden. I wonder what happened? They had so many good/great/fabulous albums then the bottom sort of just fell out.

Thanks for the reminder about 7th son of a 7th son..., I also need to re-purchase Piece of Mind and Killers...

~Cheers~

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I went through a period a couple of years ago where I bought everything from Iron Maiden through Seventh Son (after a long period of buying Mingus, Coltrane, etc). I cut my teeth playing Steve Harris basslines, and still love the old stuff. Seventh Son definitely has some great tunes on it, and I think it was the end of the golden era when Adrian Smith left. I never cared for Fear of the Dark, or the stuff with Blaze.

I think Brave New World has quite a few tracks that harken back to Maiden's glory days, too.

If you want to see some guys who know how to work a crowd, check out the Rock in Rio DVD that came out recently. While it has too many video edits (about every 5 seconds, or so), it sounds and looks great. You'd never think these guys had been doing it for 25+ years.

I always get a kick when people come to look through my cds at work. "Hmmm...Marvin Gaye, Etta James, Miles Davis.....Iron Maiden?" :D

Oh, and you need to check out the videos on the cd, too. If you don't remember, the video for "Can I Play with Madness" has the last screen performance of Graham Chapman.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    It's also my favorite maiden album, i really like it.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    While it may not have any superior peaks on it, it's just as you say a very consistent piece of work. Not a weak moment on it, but no "Aces High" either. But I really like it, since I don't have to reach for the "skip" button every 5 minutes. :cool:

Cool production, too.

6. bought this album last week- I previously downloaded the title track, which is akin to "Rhime of the ancient mariner" in its prog qualities/bass-led quiet bit in the middle.

a problem with Iron Maiden albums, I find, is that too many of Steve Harris' songs are based around the same three chords, usually in E minor, - the "fear of the dark" album being a major offender.
    "Seventh son" benefits from the greater writing input from the others.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've always really liked iron maiden alot - steve harris was a big influence on me when i started, getting my speed up. i'm with bassmonkeee on 7th son -the end of an era. their concerts through the 80's were always _intense_.

8. I always felt that Iron Maiden consistently put out great albums up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and then the quality fell dramatically after that. With that said, I put Brave New World into the CD player today and I must say they were able to create some of the old glory with that recording.

I do agree with one of the posters comments about Steve Harris's writing style- repetitious... although he has written some great songs.

9. the trademark Steve Harris songwriting style is take Eminor, C and D, maybe B as well, add in twin melody lines a third apart...
    and add a galloping bassline:p
    =the Trooper, hallowed be thy name, seventh son, only the good die young, rhime of the ancient mariner, killers, from here to eternity etc. etc.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Seventh Son was the last IM album I bought! Great stuff but I haven't spun it for a few, I'm gonna have to throw it in the player on the way to work tomorrow. My favs is still Powerslave and Piece of mind.