1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Several Darkglass B3k pedals for sale lately

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Jan 9, 2010
    I've noticed around a half dozen or so of these guys being sold on here, recently. Many of them being listed as "like new" or "only a few weeks old". I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. I mean, I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm curious why so many people haven't kept theirs.

Right now I'm using a Green Rhino, which sounds great, but I want something that can do the mild overdrive I'm getting now AND the cranked SVT sound, which I think/hope the B3k can do.

2. This is all a very subjective subject. I had one last fall. I liked it a lot, it wasn't exactly what I needed, so it left. It may not be perfect with someone's gear, who knows. Even though I didn't keep mine, I'd tell anyone that it is a great pedal and to give it a shot.

3. I just shipped mine out today. It was a great pedal and I miss it already - I just found I had less use for overdrive in my current playing situation than I thought I would.

4. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    something its just GAS.

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I for one can't quite see what people have been raving about. The B7K is a DI/OD pedal that goes full-tilt distortion, has too many knobs and switches, and to my ears avoids some of the farty sounds on low notes even at high overdrive levels. That's kind of it, isn't it? Does that make it so special that people are wetting themselves over it around here? Am I missing something?

6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hey! Thanks for your interest mate!

That's a very valid option and likely scenario... I also did a search just to see what happened and based on a quick read, at least half of the results on the FS/FT forum were of people trading other pedals in exchange of a B3K (among other products/brands).

We also have to consider that if the amount of B3Ks for trade or sale has increased, is because the amounts of units we've been putting out lately has been increasing exponentially since September/October last year.

There's one more thing, we also offer a full month for testing, and if you don't like the pedal, you can return it (in perfect
    condition) for a full refund, we'll even pay for the shipping back!

Thanks again for your interest!

-Doug.

7. I still want to try a B7K, MOAR KNOBS IS MOARR BETTAH!!! I like EQs on my OD pedals.
    Plus I still am interested in the DarkGlass Fuzz pedal when it arrives.

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Mine's for sale...I love the sound big time. But it's just not fitting in with my headphone jamming in my living room. If I was back in a band, this would be staying. I could just use the space for something else that fits my current needs.

I'll probably regret this decision.

ryclem likes this.
  9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I bought mine, really liked it, but realized there are some other OD pedals that cover the same territory for half the price, and sold it.

It was a great pedal, for sure.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I will say that my B3K is in a battle to the death with a Swell B-TOD. Both are amazing pedals....both are so much cash that only one can stay on the board.

Head to head.....I prefer the Swell. The B-TOD just fills my sound with this big giant ODed out tubey goodness, where as, and I think it's because of the clean blend, the B3K only colors it.

The thing is, the B3K gets a little distorted whereas Swell gets fuzzy. I have fuzz. I don't need an OD pedal to give me light fuzz but an OD that gives me some distortion....it's not needed but it's kinda cool.

The thing the B3K has over the Swell is that it just sounds great with other pedals. Gives them some really cool character....whereas the B-TOD doesn't seem to play well with others.

I'm still quite torn.....both are amazing higher end products.....wish I could manage to keep both.

Also, I've only seen more like 4 or 5 for sell....and considering the swing in sales this forums hype gave those things, for only that handful to be in the classifieds is pretty dang good, IMO.

11. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Best pedal I've ever owned. Its become essential to my tone. Before buying one, I liked what I heard from demos but I also know that until I get a pedal on my board, I won't know how it functions with *my* gear. So I buy and sell a lot of pedals in the quest for perfection. The B3K will never leave my board but others may have a different experience. Maybe they decide they don't care for the tone or that it doesn't marry well with their gear. Maybe some get buyers remorse (these ain't cheap) or find themselves needing cash and the B3K is a good asset. Lots of reasons people sell.

12. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Not to hijack the thread, but help a brother out. What's the scoop? What's the elevator, nutshell, consensus selling point on this unit? "It's the distortion pedal that....." what?

13. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hurm. Scotteh - are you offended by the price? i get a "wanna hate this gear/tear it down vibe" from your posts, 'specially the first one with it's.... weird description of the B7k. if i didna have a Rusty Box that i adore as my preamp i'd jump all OVER a B7k. the layout looks well thought out and i'd way rather have "too many knobs and switches" than not enough control over my sound. not being a doucher at you at all, just seems like you're kinda looking to not like it.

as to "and to my ears avoids some of the farty sounds on low notes even at high overdrive levels".... that's.... that's a good thing man. especially with a low B string, finding an OD that sounds good with all the frequency range of your bass? GOLDEN. and i use a 6'er so having something that does what it does beautifully equally well high and low is PERFECT.

i'm in love with this pedal. i went through loads of dirt before i sucked it up and paid more than i thought. i wanted to on an OD. i was wrong. it's killed everything i've had before and since. sure it's pricey, but the amount of love and skill that went into them more than justifies it. and Doug's just a peach of a guy.

no pedals for everybody. but an od that goes from grindy to full on distortion, lets my clean toan mix in wonderfully, plays well in front of and behind almost everything i've thrown at it? pure win.

14. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    to the op - think it's just cyclic. the Darkglass stuff caught on HARD here (rightfully so), and no pedal fits all needs, so people that tried 'em and didn't mesh or were looking for some else are flipping.

don't think it's a negative thing towards the pedals, just how it always goes.

15. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    I'd like to think so as well! Is impossible to please everyone, and even the best products in any category will have detractors (my iPhone is one of my favorite possessions, and there's people who can't stand them).

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, specially in music (and other arts) where almost everything is extremely subjective.

With the Microtubes, I just designed the bass overdrive I wanted for myself, it just so happened that many other people were apparently looking for the same thing, and we were (and still are) willing to work extremely hard to give it to them!

Interesting conversation, Regards!

-Doug.

jlandolfi1979 likes this.
  16. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Not so. You get me wrong, bro.

I've read some threads on this item. I've listened to a couple of youtube demos of its sound and operation. And I just need someone to confirm for me what the big deal is. As in, I genuinely wish to be educated about what's going on here.

I stand by my "weird description," however. It consisted of three things. 1) It's a DI/OD type pedal--and it is. 2) it's OD goes far enough to qualify as full-on "distortion"--and it does. 3) It has too many switches and knobs. This one requires some justification, perhaps.

At some point the manufacturer of a consumer product needs to make some decisions about what sounds good and what doesn't, which things their effect is going to do and which it isn't. I don't need a knob and switch for every signal processing variable ever invented. There's a line between providing a full spread of controls and having failed to narrow down what your product does. Especially true of a product that does a pretty simple task. Manufacturers of top quality items shouldn't cross it. (Sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve from my day job which among other tasks has involved more than a decade of computer software training and support.)

In any case, I just genuinely want to understand how its distortion is different/better than competing products i've heard. Nobody has offered me a written explanation (as clearly I can't hear it myself.) Can you?

I quite agree. That's why I mention it. I myself hate when low notes take on a noticeable flatulent tone. Hate, hate, hate. Any distortion/OD/fuzz pedal that avoids this at every possible twist of the dial .. well, that's really something.

Is that what the big deal is?

17. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey! You might be confused as for the product... this thread is questioning the amount of B3Ks, not B7Ks on sale.

I get your point though, I do care about simplicity (I've learnt to care more about it with time).
    The B3K has what I consider (remember that I first designed for myself) the right balance on simplicity vs flexibility.
    The B7K is way more over the top, because is intended for people who love to tweak.
    Is actually actually very popular with producers and professional bassists. And in a way that was what we were aiming for when we were studying what parameters to add and which ones to leave out.

If the amount of controls is too much for your taste, which is totally valid, that doesn't mean that people who want total control over their sound shouldn't be allowed to have it.

And that's the great thing about free market, we put out what we believe people want, and if they do, great, and if they don't great as well! We'll learn and try something else.

Kind Regards

-Doug.

18. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    gotcha! thanks for the intelligent and thorough summation of your point.

(tone is so hard to portray over the intertoobz, i'm honestly thanking you, zero sarcasm homie. that is an excellent explanation.)

i guess how i'd describe it as better.... is that with all the tubescreemer clones and "bass" od's i used before it felt like you had to sacrifice SOMEthing. this one might keep the low end, but it was so dark no clank could come through if you wanted it. this one would sound great alone, but the slight mid scoop that sounded awesome at the house equals disapearing COMPLETELY live with other people.

the B3k was instantly.... good when i plugged it up. the boost range is USEFUL (one of MY pet peeves is pedals that sound awesome that you can't turn the volume up past 2 or you'll CRACK THE WORLD), the range of tones are from light grind to full distortion, the blend lets you decide how much of your tone sounds good undistorted..... using it i don't feel like i'm making concessions somewhere because i like MOST of what the pedal does. it just sounds GOOD.

hope that helps.

19. I'm going to have to agree. This happens. We all have different sounds in our heads and all we can do on some pedals is rely on what others have said. Same thing happened with the Rusty Box and the coveted VT Bass. Some love them some don't.

20. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Legit! Thanks for addressing these points.

Whether you product is right for me, I still haven't decided. But one thing I know for sure now is that the folks who run this company aren't jerky and that they can take some criticism and a couple of hard questions. That counts for something, no question.