Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Several questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wecldgetkilled, Nov 21, 2004.

1. wecldgetkilled

wecldgetkilled

Nov 14, 2004
    I am trying to assemble a jazz bass using this body and i noticed several things that called for moding the body.

I dont want to mess up the body in anyway so i came here for help.
    I need help on the following:

1. Grounding the pickups.
    (i heard something about using a router from a freind)

2. Installating the pups

3. The bridge....I know that i have to measure 34inches from the nut but I am uncertain of how i will be able to make sure it is postioned right.

Im new to all of this so please help me out so I can start :bassist: ASAP!

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    A Router for grounding the pups? are you talking about running a wire up from the pot casing to the bridge?
    if so all you need is a drill....or if you don't want to you don't have to. just make sure that your control cavity is very well shielded...you might want to read the thread "is string grounding necissary" or something like that. there was alot of great discussion about this issue in there.

What about the installation did you need help on? it looks like your pup's cavities are already routed out, just make sure that the pups fit in there (not too tight)...drill a couple of pilot holes where the screws go into the body, run the wiring to the control cavity. and put you're pups in...usually there is some sort of foam underneath the pickup to push up on the pickup lightly, so that you can raise/lower the pup by tightening/loosening the screws.

For the bridge on a 34" scale, you want the saddles to theoretically be 17" from the 12th fret (or 34 from the inside of the nut) and you just want to bolt it on so that the strings go over the saddle and to the anchor straight, so if you are using a regular bridge and it is tilted slightly, your strings will hit the saddles and turn to the right or left...you don't want that....just make sure they're straight and if its an adjustable bridge, make sure you bolt it on with a little room to adjust both forwards and backwards, just incase you need to tweak it slightly. :D

Hope this helps a little. You'll have to post a finished pic when its done.

3. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I like to start fitting a bridge by attaching the neck. I then cut lenghts of thread and place them in position of the two outer strings, usually taping them at the headstock because the nut isn't yet cut. I then adjust the saddles to around 90% of the way forward (toward nut). You technically shouldn't need to adjust the saddles forward (I've heard), but I like to be safe. I then run the strings through the bridge in the two outer string positions, and use a meter stick to get the scale lined up, assuming it's 34", I make sure the saddles are 34" from the fingerboard-side of the nut (or nut position). Then, using my threads/strings, I align the bridge left/right, then tweek the left/right & scale measurements until perfect, then proceed to use a nail punch or whatever (by hand) to mark the positions of the bridge attachment screws, then drill, then bolt in place. :)

4. wecldgetkilled

wecldgetkilled

Nov 14, 2004
    Thanks alot... this has helped me out alot. I have a complete understanding of what to do now. :hyper: