Several speaker questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KampKomfort, Jul 31, 2000.

1. KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000
    Please bear with my ineptitude--

It seems that all bass cabinet and PA speakers have "accordian" speaker surrounds, while hifi/car stereo speakers have foam or rubber surrounds. What's the reason for this?

The reason why I'm curious:
    I am looking for 12" speakers to build a 2X12" cabinet around, and I have found several fairly efficient 12" 4 Ohm car audio speakers that could be possible candidates (they are also inexpensive, a plus for me). None have accordian surrounds. If they can handle the constant bass bombardment of rap music, can't they handle my fairly conservative playing style? Does the surround material affect the sound?

I have worked with Theile-Small(sp.) parameters in the past, so I feel pretty comfortable designing a cab around these speakers. Why shouldn't I use hifi or car stereo speakers?

Thanks for your patience!
  2. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Im am far from being a tech head about speakers and amps.I am pretty sure that your idea wont work very well though.Speakers for instruments are very different than your typical car stereo or home stereo speakers.
    Dont ask me how they are different but they are.Heh:)
    The reason is an instrument plugged into amp and going through speakers is very dynamic and puts lots of stress on the speakers.Much more dynamic than a RunDMC record will ever be.Hope that helped.Im sure some of the experts will fall in on this one and clear up things for you.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I actually built an 1 15" extension cab for my 2x10 using an automotive woofer (a JBL 1500GT). It sounds amazing, as the speaker is actually able to handle 30hz without problems. SPL of 97 isn't the greatest (better than ACME!) but it mixes with my 2x10 EV cab well.

The downside: absolutely no high end whatsoever (no duh it's a 15, but jeez, it sounds like its cutting off at 1.5k).

The unknown: The thing I'm hearing is that I should only expect 1/3 of the life, if that much, compared to regular musical instrument speakers. I'll have to see.
  4. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Well, I beleive that car subwoofers are made specifically just for low-end, hence the term "sub". If you already have like a 4x10 cabinet, and can bi-amp a sub system, it would sound really cool. But most bass speakers(except sub or tweeter modules)are made with 3-way speakers. This means that like a 15 in a bass cabinet can give you both a rumble and a percussive, slap sound.
  5. will33

May 22, 2006
    Car subs use the advantage of cabin gain, which you're not going to get down at the local dance hall.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Rookie mistake. :(
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hahahahaha 15 year old ZOMBIE!
    BurningSkies likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Will's drunk again...
    B-string likes this.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I hear it is COLD in Texas USA this week, man's gotta stay warm :D
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Wait. It's warmed up to 12 degrees here from -12 this morning. Why am I sober?
    B-string likes this.
  11. will33

May 22, 2006
    Sshhh.....I'm trying to catch BassmanPaul with his guard down. ;)
    BurningSkies and B-string like this.
  12. JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    OP, what speakers are you looking at?

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Tell the zombie that the accordian or m-roll surround is to help control excursion when driven beyond Xmax and to help raise the Fs high enough when using a heavy cone and suspension whilst also bringing the Qms down. ;)
    B-string likes this.
  14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Oh gawd! What have I started???? I guess I'll have to open a bottle of wine this evening! :D

We're -5C at the moment but we're breaking all kinds of weather related records! All in all I'd rather be in Barbados! :rollno:
    will33, BurningSkies and B-string like this.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Oooh. Rum.
    B-string likes this.
  17. will33

May 22, 2006
    One of these days I'll catch you. :D
    BassmanPaul and B-string like this.