several years with my rumble 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Dec 5, 2022.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a few years ago - a while before the pandemic - i wanted a smaller combo with a tone i really liked for playing at home. after buying and trying a few that just didn't work out for me (including a hartke combo my husband adopted and uses), i decided on the rumble 40. i actually was about to pull the trigger on a rumble 25, but Killed By Death (remember him?) convinced me to go for a rumble 40.

and around 4 years later, i still love the tone, the simple controls and the surprising light weight (it weighs less than the corresponding ampeg and less than the rumble 25), and it has that classic fender look. it's loud enough to jam when my husband (on guitar) and i jam. and it still sounds good when turned down to "everyone else is sleeping" volume.

i tend to buy small amps and discover at home that they don't satisfy me, sell them and buy another, rinse and repeat, but the rumble 40 has broken that pattern. i love hearing my basses through it...

Bamboo633, zontar, covermego and 40 others like this.
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree. I stumbled onto a used, local one at a good price....didn't need it but it was too good to pass on. It has really surprised me, in the best possible way. I will add that I have played the 15 and the 25, and detested them both. I have not played the larger Rumbles, so I can't comment on those, but the 40 is really a great sounding practice combo, and could handle a tiny gig.

Artman, tindrum, Relsom and 6 others like this.
  3. theduke1

theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I also have a Rumble 40 at home, a Rumble 100 that I gig with, a a Rumble 2x10 cabinet I power with a TC Electronic 500 if I need more for outside gigs. I just sold my Rumble 500 because we always have PA support so the 100 has been plenty and it’s lighter than the 500.
    The Fender Rumble series is all I will ever use going forward. If I was in my 30s I would have the new Rumble 800 combo, but those days are long gone lol
    I’ve been playing since 1965 and these are the best all round amps I have ever used!
    Peace & Love
    Duke

covermego, Tad, mikewalker and 7 others like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i couldn't agree more!

i hated the rumble 15 LOL no low end at all, especially when compared to the boomy hartke. but the woman i sold it to loves it.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Me too. My practice amp is a Rumble 40 and its been a few years. Maybe 5 or so.

It's light, doesn't take up alot of room, looks nice, sounds good, and has easy convenient controls.

butterfingers1, theduke1 and SJan3 like this.
  6. I am also a fan of the Rumble 40. Bought one used a few years back for $125. I've tried the Rumble 15 and Rumble 100 and didn't care for either one.

butterfingers1 and theduke1 like this.
  7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    It's a good feeling to love your gear! And, conversely, nothing more frustrating than to plug in and not get the sound in your head. I have the Ampeg BA110v2 which is the counter to your Rumble 40 and feel as you do when I plug in. The Rumble 40 gets a boatload of love here so you've nailed a widely used amp, and for good reason. Even though these amps are truly inexpensive by today's standards, they are priceless for what they deliver and the perfect companion for the home or a light jam. Congrats on picking a winner and I hope you continue to enjoy it through the years!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I picked up a used R40 and left it in one of my band's rehearsal space. I'm not disappointed with it exactly, but I find the sound is a little lacking in heft/balls, and a bit muddy or indistinct in a band mix. It's loud, light, and inexpensive, so ticks a ton of boxes for me, and I don't regret buying one! But I can't seem to shake the baked-in sound of these amps. All of my basses sound surprisingly similar to each other through the R40, so I can't see it as anything other than a basic rehearsal tool.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  9. theduke1

theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    The Rumble page here has some very good ideas for tone settings. They recommend starting out with the tone settings at 10-2-2-10 bass to high. I set mine there and like that setting. Just a place to start
    Duke

10. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Great testimony, pcake! You're a credit to the Rumble Club. :thumbsup: Looks like you're about to start a more specific Rumble 40 Club here. Would my Rumble Studio 40 count? I love it! :smug:

Hey there, lomo! I see you had some questions in the Fender Rumble Club several years ago, then we never heard back from you. How 'bout coming back to tell us about your Rumble and get a free membership, like most others here have done? Picture(s) would be great, but they're not required. ;)

11. I just pulled the trigger on buying a Studio 40 and hope I like it just as well as you like your R40.
    I bought mine on Cyber Monday direct from Fender for a smoking deal.
    But in case that deal is done and anyone is interested, I just saw the Studio 40 on sale at Sweetwater.
    Fender Rumble Studio 1x10" 40-watt Bass Combo Amp

Spidey2112 and G-Dog like this.
  12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I appreciate the advice; I have twiddled the EQ and gain/volume knobs substantially, and still cannot land on something I love in a mix. Played on its own, the R40 sounds a-ok, but I tend to measure the tone of an amp by how well it handles being in a full band mix. Which I recognize is not what everyone here is doing, or looking for! This is just my own personal experience with the Rumble.

butterfingers1 and theduke1 like this.
  13. Well, you might be asking a lot of a 40 Watt bass amp to sound good in a full band mix.
    If I were gigging, I'd have the Studio 40 at home for practice and the Stage 800 for playing with the band.
    Something to be said about having the same lineup of presets available for both situations.
    YMMV.

JRA, G-Dog and theduke1 like this.
  14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Good to hear P-Cake.

pcake and butterfingers1 like this.
  15. This setting was helpful to me as well for the Rumble 100 I just picked up on Sweetwater's Black Friday deal. With the knobs at noon it was sounding a bit wooly but when the 10-2-2-10 dialed it was much easier to get what I wanted. Thus far I've only used it for rehearsal with my five-piece band, but it kept up enough with our drummer, two guitars (also playing small amps) and a keyboard player. I've got a corporate party I'm playing this weekend and think it will work just fine for that too. Very usable little combo for a sale price that made it easy to want to just try one out.

16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I got a Rumble 40 because of your high recommendations after you got yours, pcake. I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, it's solid and easy.

pcake and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I'm not sure I am asking too much. It's a small rehearsal space, and the amps and PA are all similarly small. The drummer has incredible control, and never gets too loud (the only band I play in where earplugs aren't a necessity). The music is reggae at its core, but has many other influences, so it's not big, loud rock. The low end fits pretty well within the mix, but the bass is otherwise almost a total washout, and has nearly zero presence, again regardless of the knob settings.

It's an incredible amp for the money, but it's also not capable of doing everything, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I figured, in a thread detailing long-form experience with the R40, I'd offer my own findings to the group.

18. I grabbed a R40 new when they were on sale (about $150) around Thanksgiving. Love it for home practice, and honestly wouldn't mind trying it out a a smaller gig sometime soon. Great tone, and has more volume than most folks think. Just like the R100 which is my regular gigging amp.

pcake, butterfingers1 and G-Dog like this.
  19. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    A studio I work at has a Rumble 25. It records really well.

pcake likes this.
  20. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I play on one of these at one the places where we rehearse, and it is surprisingly loud for a little amp. I do prefer pre-DI verses micing it, but it is a valuable tool.

pcake likes this.