Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

severe modification?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Sep 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    Do ppl ever modify their basses by cutting them and adding different pickups? i think i've seen a couple. does anybody recommend it? it'll give you more versatality but will it ruin the sound?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wouldn't try to discourage you, but I've seen so many basses that have been modified to death...
    Only do it if you have lots of experience in wood working and have the proper tools to do it (eg. router). Forget about using hammer and chisel.
    Take it to a professional to do it!!!
    It won't necessarily change the sound (except for the new pickup), but may affect the value the bass has. You'll see when you try to sell a modified bass...especially a Fender...

Get a second bass if you need a different sound - it'll save you from a lot of hassles!

[Edited by JMX on 09-20-2000 at 10:53 AM]

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: It's usually enough to post once....:)

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The reason this is posted "twice" is because I moved the original thread to the proper forum (Pickups). But without a pointer, I guess there's no way for the originator to know that, now, is there?

The "Moved Threads" thread...too much work...but I'll continue to use it until a better solution is found, I guess.

This thread is now closed...go to Pickups and continue there.

-GM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.