Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Severe pickup modification?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Sep 20, 2000.

1. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    hey peeps
    Is it normal to cut holes in basses to accomodate new pickups? i've seen some stuff like that and it's really weird but that would solve a lot of problems of getting seperate basses....can you cut in hole for a pickup and wire it? or is it just not feasible?

2. I wouldn't say it's "normal", but you can do it. If you look over in the Basses forum, there's a thread about my Carl Thompson.. someone cut a hole for a J pickup right by the bridge. Rather crudely, I might add! I would say if you want to add another pickup, have a luthier do it, unless you're a skilled woodworker.

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    were you the guy that they said had a reverend?
    cuz what i'm looking for is versitality so i can explore differnt styles. I've heard that reverends are really versatile...what do you say? but i've also heard that it really sucks for slapping..is that true?

4. Reverends are great for versatility. First of all, no matter which model you get, the tone knob is radical. Turn it slowly all the way around and it goes from really bright to mellow and then really deep, almost like a built-in fuzz. And that's just the tone knob. My Rumblefish XL-4 has a three-way switch.. single coil, series, parallel. So basically, you can have the basic sound of a Jazz bass or a Music Man and then use the tone knob to season it to your taste. This bass has as many tones as most active basses.
    As far as slapping, the Reverend probably isn't the best. From what I've read and heard, active pickups help with good slap tone, and the Rev is passive. But as far as action and "slapability", the Rev is very good.

5. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    where do you get the XL? is there any place online where you can get it? cuz i live in Hong Kong and there isn't a reverend here for three thousand miles

6. The XL is just the standard Rumblefish with a master volume and three-way switch..
    Check Reverend's website.. http://www.reverendmusical.com
    If you don't have a Reverend dealer within 100 miles of you, they will sell to you direct..

7. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    i seee...that sounds good...thanks for your help