1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Severed Pegbox

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MilesC, Aug 24, 2007.

1. MilesC

MilesC

Mar 16, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    I just received a bass that I just ordered, Samuel Eastman VB125, and when i opened it, the pegbox was severed off. Does anyone know if this can be fixed with out replacing the entire neck? I really like the scroll because it is well flamed and I don't know what to do....? Any advice would be most appreciated. I'll try to get pics up.

2. Well, the neck is broken, so it kind of has to be replaced... The only way to keep the scroll would be a neck graft, but a more appropriate repair cost wise would probably be to just replace the whole neck and scroll/pegbox. Either way, I think you're going to be upside-down in the bass unless you can get the shipper or seller to compensate you or replave the instrument. :help:

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    That is a ten ton drag, man. You must have been so disappointed. Better luck with the next one.

4. MilesC

MilesC

Mar 16, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    The shipper said that he would help with the cost or I could send the bass back, but he doesn't have another bass like it! Does any one know where I could find necks, or could I just contact Eastman and ask them for a neck for that specific model?

5. My advice is to send the bass back and get your money back if the dealer does not have a replacement. There are many other Eastman dealers if the dealer you bought it from can't provide you with an undamaged replacement. FYI, double bass necks do not come prefinished or fitted. Replacing a bass neck is a big job and who ever does the replacement work will have to try to match the varnish and the odds of them getting it exactly like new are slim. You are much better off with a new replacement bass than having the broken one fixed.

6. have seen lots and lots of broken eastmans(blunt shock trauma) violins,cellos,etc. insist that the dealer make it right (i suggest a different instrument)if you can't get satisfaction from them in a timely manner... contact me through BT i work with people who carry significant weight with eastman...you just have to lean on the right(pardon the expression) neck.

7. MilesC

MilesC

Mar 16, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Thanks a lot, forester. But, it looks like the guy I bough the bass from is ordering me a new bass that is just like the broken one from Eastman. So, it looks like things should come around. It really had me worried at first. I've been working like heck trying to save up for one and when I get its broken! Well, since I'm getting an entirely new bass of that same model, things should be good. Thanks for offering though, it means a lot to me.