Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sex and the bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by godsmack, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Hello, there is not sex but i thought it would make you click here, :) did it work?
    anyways i need some help:

if i know the bass cleff notes, G A B C D E F G A (top to bottome) ... how would i know where to but my fingers on the freatboard? thanks for your help ~

2. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    The best advice I could give is to memorize which fret represents what note. Start oon, say, the A string and go up, A, B flat, B, etc. (i think that's right at least. )

3. well i think you mean bottom to top... but here's the deal, the strings on a traditional 4-string are EADG, low to high. the 12 notes in music are A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#. every time you move up 1 fret, you move up one of these notes (or a "half-step" or "semi-tone"). so on the E string, if you play the open string, the note is E. place your finger on the 1st fret, the note is F. second fret, the note is F#.

i don't know if that's what you're looking for, but i hope it helps...

4. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    false advertising! I should sue!

5. thanks that did help a little. but if there is like an A on the open A string and an A on the 5th fret of the E string... how would i know witch A to play if i read A off of the bass cleef?

... do you understand what i'm trining to say?

anyways thanks for you guys help!

6. well it's the same note, so it doesn't matter per se. however, you might want to play it on the E string 5th fret if 1) it's a more convenient position given the surrounding notes, or 2) you want a smoother tone.

7. ok, thank you very much, that was what i wanted to know, thank you for all your help!!!

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Key to reading is looking ahead, so if you notice you're going to have to play something that would require you to play high on the neck, you might want to use the A on the E string, but if you won't, just stay in root position on the A string.

Know ALL your notes, intervals, keys, etc. Notes: know them as flats and sharps. It helps.

9. here´s a pic that could help...

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    here is another pic that might help u on your merry way