1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sex appeal: physically and musically

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Pretty straight forward. Does your band utilize sex appeal and if so how? How important is sex appeal to your band type and genre? Even though musical sex appeal is a bit more ambiguous I think it works. We all know there are songs that get some dirty dancing going. Do you purposely write/cover sexy songs? I know my band has been writing some songs that fit into what my Singer calls "bump and grind panty droppers." By the way physical appeal is more than just how your body looks, its just as much how you dress, move, and perform. A really hot Singer isn't so hot if she is stiff, timid, and dressed poorly.

2. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    No, we rely on quality musicianship and tight arrangements.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    We've gotten gigs -- good-paying gigs -- cause female clients have seen a picture of our (male) lead singer and said "we want that band". Without ever having heard of us or heard a note we played.

So yeah, it's working for us.

And then we back it up with quality musicianship and tight arrangements. ;)

4. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Use it if you have it; all is fair in love and war

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    It goes both ways - I also use music to improve my own sex appeal. Playing sexy songs is a total win-win. Plus I like a lot of sexy songs.

6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I myself am damn sexy... :D

7. We are trying just music with one of my bands that isn't getting as far as we think we should be. I was just talking to my GF about this last night. I just started weight lifting alot so once I get to where I wanna be I'm gonna make our new marketing campaign just me with my shirt off. Just a bunch of shirtless posters of me with a date and address. I think it'll work pretty well.

8. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    With a singer in a wheel chair and two guitarists that move as much as a wall, you could say I'm the sexiest.

9. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    A pretty girl doesn't have to "use" sex appeal for it to work for her. It just happens.

Sex appeal works by itself. It can be leveraged to a greater effect, but you don't really have to push it. Likewise, if it is lacking, the natural benefits of it won't be there.

As was mentioned, it will make a difference and it's more than just looks. I think it's fair to say that, musicianship and all else being equal, the band with more sex appeal in looks/moves/interactions will exceed the band with less.

Personally, I'm always trying to be more appealing. Not because I'm looking for sex, far from it. But the band will benefit. I don't see it so much as sex appeal as just striving to be "attractive" as opposed to "repulsive." You know-- clean skin, hair, fingernails, and teeth, no unpleasant odors, nice clothes. Smile, be friendly, confident, capable, stay in decent shape, physically fit, relatively sober, able to execute my duties as a bandmember and musician. I'm not trying to push sex appeal, but rather wanting to get the most from the automatic effect. My stage presence probably needs the most work but It's getting better... I think. :D

I've seen slob bands that were pretty good musicians, and it definitely has a negative impact on me. Guys that were slobs. And I'm a decidedly heterosexual male... so within the broad category "sex appeal" I would include not only "sexxx-ayy" but also just nice to be around. Yeah it matters.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think we particularly do. Our singerbabe pretends to flirt with the guitarist and me on some songs, but she's not all "out there."

There's another cover band in our area that we've sometimes split the bill with, where the singerbabe DOES go for all-out sex appeal; spike heels, miniskirts, tight tops, the works. She can carry off the look, no question, but imo it actually ruins the show. She can barely move tottering around in those heels, so there's very little stage presence going on, and I think female audience members feel her more as a threat than identify with her as a party leader. If the female patrons are avoiding the band, the male patrons will likewise, and the whole thing goes down the tubes.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We're all over 40. Gotta be careful...Betty White might hit on one of us.

12. We're too ugly for show business

13. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Some ladies don't understand the difference between sex appeal and flaunting sexuality. A lady on stage rocking jeans and a tee is more appealing to everyone than the mini-skirt, high heels, could double as a pole dancer lady. Same goes with men, flaunting sexuality comes off as threatening. You want to be "attractive" to both sexes. You want one sex to be attracted to you and you want the other to rally behind you. I didn't put much stock into this sex appeal in music until I saw how well it works. Most people won't remember your songs but they remember if you had "that appeal" and fun songs to move to.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So true. Nothing's a bigger turn-off than someone who's trying way too hard.

15. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    Does not work for me. Last time I tried it was 25 years ago playing classic rock on a Les Paul in western boots. Ended with a slip and a spectacular crash in a puddle of beer. Close down of sex appeal and back to the bass.

It is a talent, like music. Some are sexy in a patato bag, and some can wear heels a mile high with flesh potruding from rips and holes all they want and its not working. This goes for women too.

16. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
  17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i do all i can to hide my "sexy" while on stage!:bag:

18. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I can think of quite a few people who definitely flaunt sexuality and are successful in music. It's hard to believe they'd be even more successful if they toned it down.

19. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
  20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nice, youre guitarist is hot! (and I'll go out on a limb and guess... also your girlfriend?)