1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Sex Machine" bass transcription question...are the octaves played by the bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Libersolis, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey everyone..I am working on some old James Brown tunes and trying to learn the basslines note for note from his old records. I know there are many variations of the Sex Machine bass line, but I just have a question about the first recording.

I am using transcribe to slow down the recording and pick out the subtleties, but one part I am having difficulty hearing is whether or not the bass plays the Eb octaves that appear throughout the song. When listening to the track at normal speed it sounds like the bass is providing the octaves. However when slowing the track down and isolating these parts, it sounds as if it's only the guitar.

I've looked online and see the transcription written both ways so I am asking if anyone knows definitively whether or not Bootsy plays the octaves on the record...Thanks!!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Yes

3. normalized

normalized

Jun 25, 2009
    san francisco
    Song transcribed and demoed in this book

And yes, the octaves are there.