Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sex Mob

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So, who's into Sex Mob? I'd heard a lot about them in jazz mags and whatnot and so when I came across the album Solid Sender a few years back I sampled it at the store and from the very first few bars of that album I knew I was going to dig it.

Sometimes some of the songs can start to drag on a bit with the New Orleans sound but then they'll take a left turn and something just completely brilliant happens. My favorite tune by them is "The Grind" off of Solid Sender. When it starts out it just kind of seems like a typical New Orleans style horn grind but then halfway through it unexpectedly morphs into this sorta eastern, psychedelic play on that theme. It's fantastic. The first/title track on that album is great too as is their take on Ruby Tuesday.

I couldn't get into Sex Mob Does Bond that much but I need to listen to it some more maybe. I just picked up their latest, Dime Grind Palace, off of Ebay for 3 bucks and I'm definitely enjoying that one. That's good stuff.

How can you not like a band who features the "slide trumpet" anyway?! Who's with me?

brad cook

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No one huh? You guys are missing out!

brad cook

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I haven't heard them, but now I'm interested. I'll check them out come payday.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Searching for this band on the internet will more than likely make me very happy in my pants.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok but I don't wanna be responsible if you no likey.

Check out some samples:

You can get one free mp3 at:

http://www.sexmobmusic.com/music.html

It's a tad bluesier than a lot of their songs. They can go from this straightforward, down n' dirty blues stuff to free jazz freakout dub to the kind of stuff I described in my original post.

Also if you happen to have Rhapsody, you can stream Dime Grind Palace or Din of Inequity there. If you don't have it, sign up for the 14 day free trial and stream it free!

brad cook

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I can dig it. Saw MMW w/ the Sox Mob horns on 4/20 at the Warfield a few years ago. One of the best shows I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot. That Bernstein guy is the mad conductor. One guy was playing a very long and strange horn through some nasty effect - and it was muy bueno. I need some of their live shows...
    :bassist:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Awesome! When I saw MMW DJ Logic opened. Meh... Actually Logic plays on at least one song on the Solid Sender album.

Yeah, me too!!

brad cook

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the live sample is great.

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have "Din of Iniquity", and have to say, it's not to my liking. Sounds like jazz gone horribly wrong (like, there's no groove at all, everything's dissonant and not in a good way, etc), but I've heard good things *about* sex mob so I hope it's just a one-off thing. I also never bothered to finish the album after the first few tracks made me want to stab myself.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm...apparently you didn't even make it to track 2.

brad cook

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Their bass player is not really a nice guy. I saw them in the late 90s at a show with not very many people (15 maybe). I was really into it because I was thinking about getting into upright bass (which I did about a year later)

Well after the show he was just sitting there by himself so I approached him and I asked about his bass and playing technique because I was interested in getting started on the instrument. He was all like yeah thats great and seemed like he didnt care to talk to me at all. I wasnt being obnoxious or anything but he seemed irritated with me so I left. :oops:

Great band though. Bernstein likes to conduct like Miles used to in the early 70s. Tons of groove...

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Who knows man, maybe his dog died that day...maybe something else. You can't say someone is "not really a nice guy" because you (A stranger) approached him cold once in a bar and he seemed irritated.

Also, it has very little to do with this thread.

brad cook

13. Bernstein made a guest appearance on the new Brotherhood of Groove album and he blew us all away in the studio!

from the lows,

Stew

14. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Yeah, I seem to remember a friend playing me their version of an ABBA song. :eek:

I know. Actually it was a very unique version. I wish I could remember the name of the ABBA song. Never was much of a fan of theirs.

But, Sex Mob definitely has the goods. :bassist: