Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sex Pistols Flip Off Rock Hall

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Coolness, The Clash was musically better and blablabla, but Never mind the bollocks, here's the sex pistols is a great album.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't think he'll regret it, this is right in character for Johnny.
    There would be no Clash if it weren't for The Sex Pistols. Remember, they came out when Disco was still the rage. They were PUNK.

4. Why? Exactly what is either enshrinement or participation with the RnRHOF going to do? Unlike a sports HOF, where a lot of "greats" will be forgotten unless they get into the HOF, they're still selling records, people still know the music, they have done well attended tours. The HOF is mostly for the fans- I'm not saying the artists don't appreciate the honor, but it really does them no great favors to be enshrined- other than to say "I'm in the RnRHOF."

5. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I think it's a good idea to flip off the Establishment at every opportunity.

6. Indeed. ;)

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... I read-up on this Sex Pistol/HOF thing yesterday. Oh well, at least they are remaining true to character... can something be said for consistency here?

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WELL, look at it this way, they really did just drop right out of music, they all just kinda quit because they got sick of being rockstars, my guess is they still don't want to be rock stars.

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, now they just want reunion tour money. :D

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that - the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned were all around at the same time and the Clash were always more U.S. and Reggae-influenced than the Pistols.

So I would say that the Ramones influenced the beginnings of the Clash more...

Also - the Damed were the first to get a Punk single out - long before the Pistols!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Did/are they touring? I honestly haven't heard any musical output from the SP since Sid died. :confused: I thought they've stuck to their guns as far as "we're done" goes.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They did do a tour - Filthy Lucre Live Tour 1996...?

Glen Matlock the original bass player wrote most of those songs anyway - before being kicked out ...Sid was never crucial to the band anyway...:meh:

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are you kidding?!? He sneered! And his playing was so bad, they had to turn his amp off... how is that not crucial to a band's sound? ;)

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'll take your word for it, you were where it was happening, I was reading about it in "Hit Parader" mag.
    I thought the Damned and the Sex Pistols were out before the Clash?
    Good point on Ramones influence.

16. On Steve Jones' radio show last week, his producer/babysitter read the letter while Jonesy provided guitar and whistling accompaniment. It was highly entertaining.

17. Good, the R&RHOF is a joke.

18. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    The Sex Pistols are now, and will always be Ramones wannabe's.:scowl:

19. Just like the Ramones will always be Velvet Underground wannabe's:D

20. Who cares about an establishment that enshrines Lou Reed and ignores the contributions of Rush?