Sex sex and sex!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kensington, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Kensington

Jul 13, 2001
    I knew that would get SOMEONE's attention. Anyway, I have an amp problem. For some reason, it just decided to start going haywire. Whenever I turn it on now, it works for MAYBE 5 minutes (that's a big MAYBE). After that, the volume dims, and whenever I hit a note you either can't hear it well, or you get some much crackling and noise that you can't make it out. Now, the main problem here is I need to sell this thing to afford the used Warwick Pro Fet IV that I just put on layaway. So, if anyone can help me, please don't hesitate.
  2. it would help a lot if you told us what kind of amp it is, and all other factors involved.

it's not a guitar amp, is it?
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds like muffler bearings. Put it up on the rack, give it a good lube and see what happens. Could be the fanortner rod, too. In that case, junk it and buy a Godlberg Golden Rube Mark 1. Good amps.
  4. Oh damn. I came here for the sex... :(

Oh well. Have you ruled out the problem being a dying battery in the bass (if it's active) or a bad cable?

PS what the point of the attachment? :confused:
  5. Kensington

Jul 13, 2001
    The amp is a Peavey TNT 100, and I know the cables and bass (passive) are fine. It's got to be the amp. Hope that helps.

PS - The attachment was an accident, sorry.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's probably just dead. A TNT 100 is a pretty old amp. We all gotta go sometime. I don't know what you have planned on selling it for, but it is fairly save to say that it will cost at least that much to fix it.

If it works OK for a few minutes and then fades, it is probably a bad cap. that is leaking down when it gets hot. It could also be the power supply itself. IF it is the power supply, I am sure it isn't worth fixing, if it is simply a capacitor, perhaps someone could isolate quickly enough and replace it. But they are still going to hit you up for a $100 or so.

7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i dunno - the keyboard player in my band blew about 5 caps in his rhodes speaker cabinet/amp and it cost him 30 bucks to fix.

so shop around, take it in and get an estimate...who knows? maybe it'll be cheap.

8. Are you sure its the amp? Do you have an active bass?
  9. Kensington

Jul 13, 2001
    Well, if the amp's dead, I can't sell it. That means I need to find a way to get money. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to get a %#$@ing job! GGRRR!
  10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I had an old peavey that acted like that one time, it is now a footstool, just kiddn it was the input jack, nomally with an input jack it is either on or off but not this one, its worth a look.
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Hey! stop teasing people! :D

there are like 5 threads on TB right now whose title includes SEX and the topic has nothing to do with it...

so.... it´s not funny anymore... ok?