Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sexism in hardcore!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shoonk, Aug 5, 2002.

1. hey everyone, this is my first post here. and i hope i put this in the right place...

I was recently kicked out of a hardcore band because I'm a girl! Let me tell you, I've only been playing bass for a year, but I've been playing ska and punk (real punk not bl*nk) and I am really good for someone my age and with my experiance.
    Anyways, the guy they chose over me has only been playing for 2 months, cant play anything past strumming (which i guess is all you need for hardcore anyways) and is one of those hypocrite types.
    I am so angry!:mad:
    I just wanted to let you all know that it was definetly not nice, especially since now they are being offered a record deal! ahhhh!!! that should be me! I dont even like hardcore! bah!

thanks alot
    -Shoonk

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dont worry too much about it... Something else will be along! Bassists are always in demand!

3. Yea - you picked a good instrument. You will have no problem finding another gig.

Sexism EVERYWHERE is a problem!

Welcome to TB...

4. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    if you don't even like hardcore anyways, then you will probably be happier in whatever comes along next..... right?

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That sucks. A****** like that would have stabbed you in the back sooner or later anyway. Hopefully you will find a better situation soon.

6. thanks for the welcomes. and yeah, i would rather be playing ska ANYDAY!!!!

this was a typical bassline for me.

*yawn*

g-------
    d-3-----
    a-5-3-5-
    e---5-7-

oh what fun.

peace & plaid
    -Shoonk

7. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    I used to get that when I started

"only tall stong guys play bass". i quote exactly

8. bahahahaha....most of the self pics i've seen on here aren't "tall and strong" well maybe talll, but in the lanky sense. no offence guys, but i'm not a tiny girl either. 125lbs 5'5 (pure muscle from rowing though)
    peace & plaid
    -Shoonk

9. nedthegnome

nedthegnome

Aug 5, 2002
    Wakefield
    That's sucky. I'm sorry. I know how you feel. Playing bass and being a girl ain't that easy. Specially if you play a type of music which is mostly male. eg.punk

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i read "Sex" and "Hardcore" on the title and i just had to post here...

welcome to talkbass! sorry to hear that kind of bad experience...

11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hi..
    I know how it is.. I got kicked out of a band for not playing blink 182.. those guys in the band were sexist.. in the respect that they wanted play music by a bunch of transexuals and not anything good like minutemen or husker du!
    lol well not really sexist.. but.. i know how you feel.
    Well i guess those guys you played in the band with never heard of black flag.. they had a chick bass player and she owned! oh well.. lol i guess its there loss.. im sorry to hear about that though
    oh yes and welcome to talkbass :D

ps.. my hardcore band is called the foxy grandpas ;)

12. theres plenty of hardcore girl bands: Kittie, O Trip, Distillers, etc. there may be more male bands, but its all about talent. i got kicked out of a band for being to good once, but thats kinda different...

13. Ain't testosterone great? :cool:

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Yeah, so?

:D Just kidding, I'm the biggest bass player I know, or anymusician for that matter... Anywho welcome.

Stu

15. It's ok. You'll get more chances. And if you don't even like hardcore, why would you want to be in a band that plays hardcore? Doesn't make sense.

16. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    that's because 99% of hardcore is open note break down with guitar squeals, so really to be in a hardcore band you have to be a xbigtuffguyx

i'm in a hardcore band but i'm a girly boy, the thing is this band isn't strictly hardcore. boom.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Welcome to TB and freedom. You don't want to be in a band with chumps like that anyway.

Did they actually say "You're out, because you're a girl"? That really is quite stupid, but not to worry - with that attitude, they aren't going anywhere.

If you're from the Ottawa area, I do know of an all-girl rock band that [I think] is looking for a bassist...

18. po3t

po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. (Although I do realize it's not supposed to be). Girls (female) should be barefoot, pregnant, and playing tamborine, hahahahahhahahha, what idiots.

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha......

19. haha...no...i have hot pink pumps i wear to gigs. i always get my feet steped on!

and I'm from sudbury, canada, which is like 6 hours north of ottawa, and 4.5 hours north of toront, but the school i'm going to starting september is only 1.5 hours from toronto and about 45 mins from ottawa. but i dont think i'm ready for an all chick band, i'm not even 14 till later this month! but i come to vancouver once a year, i was tehre in april! i have a funny story about steves music store over there...but maybe another day....

20. get your heads out of the gutter guys....there are young women present (i.e. me!)

peace & plaid
    -Shoonk