1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sexism in Women's Basketball Story?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    US sports fans have all probably seem Britney Griner of Baylor break Jordan Hardcastle's nose during a recent game. Some are saying the criticism of Griner is based a bit it sexist perceptions of women. Jaylen Rose made a point to say there is no place for Griner's actions in women's basketball especially. I'm not defending Griner decking Hardcastle, I just don't see why anyone is shocked that competitive athletes of any sex would get mad and fight?

Here is a more detailed story for the NY Times:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/06/sports/ncaabasketball/06griner.html?hp

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    http://brittneygriner.blogspot.com/

This jogs my memory a bit. Brittney Griner is a heck of a talent! She can dunk like a NBA player. If see the pic of her with Shaq, she makes him look normal sized.:eek:

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I don't know where you're trying to go with this, but unless the sport is boxing there should not be any punches thrown and especially not of the "sucker" variety. People should be shocked because it's bad sports-person-ship. And I agree there is no place for this especially not in women's basketball, if she does this again she should be banned from women's basketball and take up extreme fighting perhaps?.

She sounds like a boy to me.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Meh.

5. +1

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Brittney Griner was wrong and should be punished. I just think it is odd that some are shocked at a woman being aggressive. I like aggression properly channeled. It is good for all sports. What I'm saying is that I like Griner's passion, and I am glad women are playing with that sort of passion. She just needs to learn that the next time she is shoved or elbowed, she needs to get even within the context of the game, and not get herself tossed for a sucker punch.

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I feel it would be more appropriate if women athletes settled their differences with kissing contests.

8. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Congratulations Brittney, for helping us understand that women athletes can be just as stupid, immature, and primitive as male athletes. I like some sports, but the whole privileged superstar athlete culture in this country is ridiculous and needs to be changed.

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    if it helps I understand the point you're getting at, and you're right.

10. I was listening to sports talk radio this morning when the topic switched to women's basketball. I changed the station.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    or nude wrestling matches in kiddie pools filled with pork n beans.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    totally agree, dr. cheese. anyone who saw the clip should have understood the level of frustration that the baylor center had, and, well, sometimes stuff just gets real. *takes off sunglasses.*

13. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    +1 on both the sportsmanship and the sex of this person.

Reminds me of the South African runner who was recently disqualified in an olympic event after she won a race. When the other nations protested she was forced to submit to a doctor's examination. After testing and examination they determined that she was actually hermaphrodite and "too male" to fairly compete with more typical females. It's not really pertinent to the OP's point, but it does add an interesting dynamic to the situation.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Meh, I think the whole world of PC has gone beyond stupid.

Do I think it was right for her to blast her one in the nose? No, but it was hardly a sucker punch. The other player was every bit as aggressive with her "move". Dare I say she deserved it? Both should have been ejected.

15. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Some people are just naive.

I remember that too, I felt bad for her. She was one heck of an athlete, but the jealousy of her competitors really overshadowed that.

16. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm just gonna say this and get it out...

Dr. Cheese, you seem to be very interested in news about supposed prejudice, you often post them here and ask what we think. Many of these stories seem like they shouldn't be as big as they are, it is just blowing a single sentence out of proportion. Everyone, no matter who, is prejudiced in one way or another. I think it is just the state of our culture to grab onto anything that will cause some sort of uproar where it really isn't needed.

Basically, I find it ridiculous.

I'm not trying to offend you or anyone else, and I respect your opinions. Just something to think about.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

We all are interested in different things. If my interests don't matter to you. Skip my posts and read something you care about.

18. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

The way I see that sentance, is because Women's Basketball isn't as big or as popular as Men's Basketball. The sport as a whole would be better getting into the media for it's own merits and those playing it fairly, rather than those of douchebaggery and scandal. Basically, as a fledgling sport/area (comparatively) not wanting it to be associated with such acts that tarnish it.

Nothing to do with women and not being violent.

If you follow?

I'd say in many way's it is a parody of a parody. Reminds me of Slapshot. The team are becoming infamous for all the wrong reasons and whatnot.

19. What do you mean "like an NBA player"? Are you trying to say that most female basketball players don't posses the ability to dunk? Don't be sexist. It's not cool.

20. Wow. I'm practically speechless here.

I never thought I could do this, but I might, maybe might just be

+1-ing username n/a

:eek:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.