1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Sexy" voices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Apr 13, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi again. :)

Having this week off, I'm taking my time to rest and practice, among other things. I wanted to give a listen to some of my old LPs and chose "New York, London, Paris, Munich" from a band called simply "M" (bought on March 31/80). Does anybody remember it? It was a project from a guy called Robin Scott, and he had a huge, smash hit with the opening track from this album (released in 1979) called "Pop Muzik". At least where I live, it remained as #1 on all radio stations' top 20s for so many weeks (BTW, Mark King -yes, that Mark King- is credited as drums and guitar player while Phil Gould also appears as the main drummer).

Anyway, while listening to the album, I remembered that one of the reasons why I liked it so much was the backing singer's voice. I've just performed a search on Wikipedia and found that her name is Brigit Novik (well, her real name is Brigitte Vinchon and she's Robin Scott's wife). Her voice is so sexy to me! A key component to make songs like the aforementioned "Pop Muzik", "Made In Munich" or "That's The Way The Money Goes" a truly delightful listening experience. I mean, it's not just about a "beautiful", "nice" or "cool" voice. It's about being "hot".

Another example of a sexy voice to me can be found on "Smooth Operator" by Sade. What voices have given that impression to you? Thank you for your input!

P.S.: Of course, same sex entries also apply. Nothing wrong with it, just that I can't think of a man's voice that falls into that category right now.

2. Gwen Stefani, I just dig her voice.

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Meshell N'degeocello.

Basically anything.

I say again:

Meshell N'degeocello.

4. Dude, if Barry White's voice isnt SEXY, then nothing on earth is.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Gwen Stefani is sexy all the way around.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Female: Melissa Auf Der Maur
    Male: Mark Sandman (Morphine)

That's baby makin' music right there.

7. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Meshell on Earth. Great song too.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

This post reminded me of the late Lou Rawls. For male voices, I think he qualifies. I'd also add Bruce Springsteen (to some extent).

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

DAVE MUSTAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a seriouser side, I think Natasha Bedingfield has one of the sexiest voices I've ever heard.

10. Mick Jaggar's voice spans from sexy to annoying. Just depends on the song and era in which he's singing.

I'm not so sure about Bruce Springsteen, idk. I may just have something against him and his music, but I'm not sure what.

Ben Folds has a pretty cool voice, as does Elliot Smith and the guy from Counting Crows, I forgot his name. I'm not sure how 'sexy' they are, but cool voices none the less.

Jack Johnsons voice is pretty soothing...

Chris Thilie (sp?) from Nickel Creek, as well as their female vocalist, great duo and triple part arrangments in Nickel Creek music.

I also happen to be fond of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, as a duo. Each on their own, yeah their ok, but Simon & Garfunkel have some of the coolest sounding duos ever written.

11. I dig Diana Krall's voice.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Then you might also like Michelle Pfeiffer's voice in The Fabulous Baker Boys.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Céline Dion - she is "the best singer in the world"

:bag:

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'll second Jack Johnson.

And I'll nominate the chick from Metric. Especially her voice on "The Police and the Private"... not sure how many of you will know who she is...

15. I definitely dig Michelle Pfeiffer. Was it her singing voice in the Fabulous Baker Boys though? I don't believe she had ever sung in anything before or since.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Supposedly, she did her own singing.
    I have the soundtrack...somewhere. ;)

17. I have the DVD. Are you saying Michelle Pfeiffer can sing..??

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Chaka Kahn has a sexy voice.

Stevie Nicks has a sexy voice and proves that singing in tune is overated:D

And the first time I heard Joss Stones voice I fell in love, so I guess thats sexy.:)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm saying she played the role of a torch singer well enough to do her own singing.

Joss Stone...I would also agree with burk except she starts a-giggling when doing the 'sexy' "Ooohs" & "Aaahs". Check out her DVD ("Fell In Love With A Boy").
    ;)

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1 on Gwen Stefani

Joss Stone!