Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymore Duncan Antiquity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Is anyone here an SD antiquity user? What do you think of them? Do they have the oldschool sound? I heard their PBass pickup was voted best oldschool PBass pickup sound (over Fender reissues). Would you agree? I am mostly interested in the JBass pickups.

Thanks.

2. How would you compare them to Fender '62 Reissue Jazz pickups?

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    whats the SD Antiquity?? I use the SD Basslines Active Soapbars and only those pickups.. and I <B>LOVE THEM</B>.. SDs are great electronic company

4. Antiquity is a line of Seymore Duncans that tries to recreate the tone of old guitar models; sort of like a Fender reissue.

5. I tried the 62 RI's in a store and was not impressed at all. So i decided to go with the Antiquity I's and I really love them. It's hard to say if they sound truly vintage (without some nasty old tube amp) but they sound full and funky-a major improvement over the stock MIA jazz pups.

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am a Duncan dealer and so far I can't hardly keep Antiquities on the shelf!! I sell them almost as soon as I get them in. They are very popular and are constructed like the old style pickups to sound like old style pickups. They also look real vintage.

Black Rose Customs

7. I had to go to two different stores to complete a set of the antiquities. The GC in Tacoma had ONE SD Antiquity. They checked their regional inventory and could find only ONE other in SoCAL. I drove to Seattle to BassNW and picked up their last Antiquity bridge pickup.

I kind of like that they are a little hard to find.

8. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Blipndub,

Not sure if I am allowed to say this here, but I try to keep a large stock of Antiquities on hand at very good prices. I have Jazz and Precision PUP's in stock. Also, a good stock of guitar pickups.

www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com

9. I have a 62 RI Jazz, and I have put Antiquities in it. Big improvement. The top is sweeter, and the whole range is fatter. Antiquities for those who dont know, are hand made pups, using the same original early Fender materials, and "scatter-winding" them as the originals were done. They are most definitely a vintage sound, not for anyone wanting a modern sound.
    BTW, I never could figure why Fender insist on calling it a 62 RI, the stacked knob control plates only came out in '60. I have replaced my stacked knob setup with a three knob plate, so NOW it's a 62 RI.

10. I'm pretty sure they had stacked knobs from '60 to '62.

11. Nah, only in '60. I have a friend with a genuine '61, and that has the three knob plate. Plus I checked some vintage bass sites, and they all agree. It seems the prototype, designed in '59, had the three knob setup, but was changed to the stacked configuration when it went into production. It only lasted a year, and was changed back to the three knob.

12. That's funny... All the pictures I can find prove you too be right, not me. I suppose it's a possibility.
    Thanks for correcting my information in that case.

13. Do we call you "Saint Smash" now?

14. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    I put a Seymour Duncan antiquity in a Fernandes P bass. It sounds great and compared to a friend's '68 Precision sounds the same. I have La Bella flats on this bass and they love it in the studio.

Previously I had a Lane Poor pickup in the bass but wasn't getting the vintage sound I was looking for. Lane Poor seems to have gone on walkabout, no one has heard from him in quite a while.

Jeremy Cohen