Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymore Duncan Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I didn't know that they made basses. Yep, you guessed it, the Japanese players get the good stuff. The headstock reads "Seymore Duncan".

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Noone liked Seymore Duncan's offering, huh?

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Was too busy turning green with envy. Spent a bit of time this week looking over some Japanese sites and boy do they get some great stuff.

Ah well... :(

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Are you sure Seymour Duncan made them, Wood, or were the made by someone else and private labelled by Seymour Duncan?

Some companies do that -- I remember a few years back Trace Elliott commissioned a high-end bass builder to make some custom basses, labelled T-E, for some sort of promotion Trace was doing.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    To be honest with you, I couldn't tell you. I just know that they say Seymore Duncan on the headstock. It seems like they may have hired a builder to build the basses for them.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Think of it this way- The japanese aren't getting MIA fender's, Sadowsky's, Foderas. or Ken Smith's for anywhere near the price we are paying, at I am pretty sure about this.:D

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd be wary then - their name being Seymour Duncan. ;)

8. I think seymore duncan basses are being made by Japanese ESP.
    One of their "classical styling" brand along with Navigator lines

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I just got an email from Seymour (better?) Duncan, and they told me that they do still make these, and that any dealer can order them. So they are legit.

10. You couldn't be more wrong there Woodchuk. Check this out. ;)

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    anyone know anything on the price of these bad boys? they look nice

12. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    They are made buy ESP and cost 280,000 yen:)

13. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    From the faq page on http://www.seymourduncan.com:

WHERE CAN I FIND A SEYMOUR DUNCAN GUITAR?
    Actually, we don't manufacture the guitars. There's a guitar company in Japan called ESP and they license the Seymour Duncan name for a line of guitars they produce for the Japanese domestic market. Because the guitars use a trademarked Fender headstock, they can't be brought into the United States. For more information on ESP's line of Seymour Duncan guitars, you can contact them in Japan at:

ESP Guitars
    1-17-18 Takada Toshima-KU
    Tokyo, 171 Japan

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's why Moon no longer sells their basses here. Why would that guy tell me that they can still be ordered here? :confused:

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    And for a couple of years, Seymour Duncan also made amps. But that business didn't seem to take-off for them.

I used to live near were Seymours shop is at and I knew a guy that worked there. I remember spending time in their sound room, which was a huge room with about one of every brand amp lining all the walls. I also remember playing a 4 string Seymour bass and remembering ESP having something to do with it's manufacturing.

16. I still wonder, why don't they just change the headstock slightly? There's obviously a market for those basses outside of Japan, am I wrong?