Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan 1/4Pounder Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey everyone,
    if you have 1/4pounders, post in here! I have mine on my precision, and soon enough I'll have them on my aerodyne. The precision just got infinetly rockier, great lows and more specific highs, and so much louder! Great rock pups, anyone want to chime in?

2. I got them in my P Special. I love them. Good response, great lows. Sometimes I wish I could mellow them out a bit, but I have a different bass for those occasions...

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I appreciate the 1/4-Pounder in my MIM Fender P-Bass. It's my #1 gigging bass for my Rock & Blues cover band. :cool: :bassist:

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Gord, I have an older set of SD's on my Precision. They are 'hot' pickups: louder and better overall sound definition.

I want to put quarter pounders in my Aerodyne for the same reason.

I am curious how your operation goes because, I get bad noise when I use just the j pick-up on my Aerodyne but no noise with the p pick-up.

do you have this problem as well ?

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Love Quarter Pounders! Especially the double with cheese! :D

But seriously...
    I have put them in every passive P that I've had. I just got a Peavey Milestone II, which to my surprise was equal quality to the MIM P next to it :eek: and dropped a set of 1/4 Pounders in. Result: excellent P bass on a budget! I almost never run the tone full-up, usually leave it around 3/4's.

6. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    They came with my first bass, a Squire Precision that I will never part with. (Especially now that it looks super old school, Ashtrays, Finger rest, White P/G on Electric Blue, Skirted Amp knobs) But back to the p-up, yep, them'r good.

7. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    ill definatley be dropping a set of them into my Slammer p as soon as i get the frets out/filled

8. pseek

pseek

Jun 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    I've also put one in my Aerodyne (only P)
    and I have one in my P-bass. And both sound
    very great!!

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Just curious, what is the European version called? ;)

I managed to play a Steve Harris signature P model once which came with the 1/4 pounder, but at the time I had almost no experience on bass. :(

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I just got a discontinued Ibanez RKB900 with P and J Quarter Pounders not three days ago... all I can say it WOW. I haven't played a passive bass since my first starter instrument when I was 14, and since then it's been all active pickups and electronics. While I still think the "clean and precise" sound of a active bass is a good deal of my personal sound, playing through this bass with a pick is like a sledgehammer to the face.

...and while it's not appropriate for every song, sheer power certainly has it's moments. :D

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    SD Royale' :D

I love my 1/4'ers...I have 4 basses equipped with them. They totally rock. Only pickup in my book that even holds a candle to them are the Dimarzio Model P's....but the SD's are my favorite.

Just got my 78 P back from a total refin and when we discovered the original pickup was toast I had em' drop an Antiquity II in it...it's the good ole' SD tone but it's not as hot as the 1/4'er....but it's a very vintage tone...(for anyone who cares :D )

12. rDuM

rDuM

May 6, 2004
    i have an active bass and i wanted to get quarter pounders, will i be able to do it with the bass being active?

13. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I bought 1/4 Pounders for my P and I was ready to like them. I just didn't! :( I didn't find them to have the kind of character that is my voice on bass. I didn't think they were bad, mind you, they just weren't me at all. I didn't find them to have the kind of distinct tone I wanted. I have been much happier with Dimarzio Willpower Middles, though they are pricier. I wouldn't mind trying my 1/4 Pounders in a different bass sometime, see if a different body wood like mahogany might do better than the poplar body I have on this P. Do any of you have them in a mahogany body or something other than poplar??

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I also just got this bass, and was blown away by the amount of headroom I suddenly had! (in addition to being blown away by the tone). It's actually a problem, because my Aero (Type I) equipped J-bass is soooo quiet in comparison now. I think I'm going to swap the Aeros for QP J's.

I'll reiterate the question above about how these pickups might work with active, since my J is active/passive.

I'll also add a question: has anyone tried these pickups with flatwounds?

-Aram

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Steve Harris. :D

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I use(d) them in my ESP M-IV, they absolutly rocked out. IMO, best P pickup out there, and when matched with a nice J in the bridge position. mm mm good!

Ray

17. I bought mine on black friday of last Christmas season at guitar center when they were running on sale. I installed them on my Fender MIM P, and wow, the tone is really good for the type of music I play (mainly rock, some blues and other stuff once and a while). It adds more punch and has great lows, which I really like about it.

18. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, they work with a preamp. I put a set in my Sadowski Jazz and couldn't be happier. (well, I could be if they were 1/4 pounder w/stacked coils, but you get the point)

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys -- that's all I needed to hear. I'm replacing my Aeros with QPs.

-Aram