1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan 5 string bass pickup pole alignment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mjgonsow, Apr 19, 2018.

1. mjgonsow

mjgonsow

Mar 22, 2018
    Long story short: I bought a 5 string bass kit which came w/some bogus pickups so I ordered some Seymour Duncan SJ5 pickups. I ended up 3d printing two adapters which would allow the pickups to fit snug into the bass and look aesthetically pleasing.

What I didn't realize is the distance of the poles is off, the low B string and G string are inside of the poles (See picture). My question is, If I have the body routed to install these pickups at an angle (about 30 deg.) would that be optimal? I imagine the strings should line up right in between the poles correct?

Attached Files:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Unless you're hearing discrepancies among string-to-string volume & balance, I'd leave it alone. Nice job by the way. BTW, could you add some addt'l pics including the bridge and neck? We'd like to look at the spacing of the string paths.

Riis

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The magnetic field created by pickups is a big oval that stretches above all strings and left to right probably a half inch beyond the strings or more. It's not a bunch of individual tiny magnetic fields shooting straight out of the magnets. Leaving them as they are won't harm the volume or tone from string to string.

However, changing the angle will chenge the tone a little (whether that's good or bad is subjective). The further toward the neck you go the rounder your tone will be. The closer to the bridge, the thinner and brighter it will be.

One need only read a few threads on reverse P bass pickups to see if people think that makes a difference.

So, if your mild OCD (I have it too) bothers you more about the magnets than it does the angled pickups, I would angle them in a way that makes the G string end of the pickup closer to the neck. That would add a tiny bit of beef to that end of the spectrum. It might turn out great.

It would bother me more about the angled pickups. :D But it ain't my bass. :thumbsup:

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    By the way, I just noticed you're pretty new here.

Welcome to TalkBass @mjgonsow !!!!!!

5. mjgonsow

mjgonsow

Mar 22, 2018
    Thank you two fingers and Zoob! I dont notice tonal difference from string to string and believe I am just going to leave it as is, I didn't realize the magnetic field stretched that far. I REALLLLLY didn't want to route new cavities as I kind of like the look of the 3d print against the black pickups/wood body.
    Once I finish setting the pickup height and get everything where I want it, I'll post some more detailed pics.

two fingers likes this.