Seymour Duncan active jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Belka, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    :hyper: I tried a bass with a set of Seymour Duncan active jazz pickups yesterday. I was round at my friend's (who's a very talented luthier), trying out a bass he had made and his Fodera Monarch. Of course the Fodera kicked butt (it was a standard Monarch with EMGs, Pope preamp, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body and maple top). But the tone of the other bass (which had an alder body, maccassar ebony fingerboard, EMG parametric mid 3 band EQ, walnut top, and of course the aforementioned Seymour Duncan active jazz pickups) just sounded so much richer and fuller.

Of course, I realise that there are some variables involved, which is why I printed the specs of both basses, but I can honestly say that I've never heard a better modern jazz sounding pickup. My friend told me that they are relatively new, but I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these.

Comments would be much appreciated.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

to my knowledge, SD makes at least 3 models of active Jazz pups: Lightn'n rods, Steve Bailey, and the EQ models with dip switches in the pup face. I've had all 3 and there are reveiws on the Rods and Bailey's in the Dimento J experiment. The EQ models I sold before I started doing the reviews but their decent pups. The Bailey's I personally prefered and still have. I'm not aware of any new models.

To my knowledge, EMG makes no parametric EQ, their 3 band has a variable mid but that's not the same thing.

There are other pup reviews on TB and you can do a goodle search for "bass pickup reviews" and locate many others.