1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2 p bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vincentous, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015
    Hello,

Does anybody have experience with this particular pickup ? Does it really sound as good as the original early to mid 60's fender precision pickups ?

How do they compare to normal antiquity and 63 usa reissue ?

Would you call them the best for restoring a vintage mid 60's p-bass ?

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The Ant II is one of the very best pickup available today.
    Early to mid 60's pickups were hand wound so some sound great some are absolute dogs. The idea they all sound the same is a slippery one.

Does the Antiquity II sound vintage? Absolutely in fact it sounds better than many vintage you would find available for sale.
    Some of the very best vintage basses do not come up for sale because they sound so good. They stay in the hands of their owners or end up being owned by pros.

The 63 US reissue is a very good pickup (I own both by the way) but it's very different. It's a hot, bassy, overwound pickup so it does not really sound as vintage as the Antiquity II.
    It sounds great and it sounds like a Fender pickup but it's bass heavy and relies on the fundamental and it's kind of shy on overtones. The Ant II has more highs but it does not have as much highs as a Lollar for example.

For a mid 60's P bass, I would look at the Ant II over the 63. That being said if the bass is highs shy, I would look at a Lollar to bring some life back in it. If the bass has plenty of highs then the Ant II would be perfect. You want your pickup to pair nicely with your bass and compensate its weak point if any.

3. Vincentous

Vincentous

Mar 13, 2015

Thank you Laurent,

I bought an ant 2- haven't yet upgraded my 65 p bass. Looking forward to it!
    Have you had any exprience with the ordinary Ant ? It has a different alnico magnets ?

4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Yes I have. The Ant is another terrific pickup capturing the tone of the 50's. It's Alnico II which is supposed to sound softer but I did not hear that.
    The pickup is actually really detailed, punchy and has a lot of highs. The bass frequencies are more limited than on the Ant II but it's a really well designed pickup and it's very musical.

Against Will likes this.