1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II: characteristics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thefunkybassist, May 20, 2011.

1. It's time to change the pickups in my Fender 1975 Jazz Bass vintage. I am getting tired of these stock pickups! They cut through the mix but there is not enough character in them.

So I am searching for the right (+-70's) vintage pickup to make my life a bit happier :) And in most vintage forum topics that I come across, the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's come up. I've heard the following things said about them:

- Cutting through the mix, or... not so much?
    - Reasonably growly
    - Lots of character
    - Enough bottom
    - Low output
    - Strings sound more even
    - Dark tone

To you who has any of the SD Antiquity II pickups in his bass, I would like to know: what is your experience of these characteristics? And just as important, what wood is your bass neck? Because that does a lot with the sound characteristics also?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i post this in all the antiquity threads, but other peoples characterizations are essentially useless with this line of pickups. the duncan custom shop winds them all with a different amount of wire. ive never had one that was 7 or 9k, but i have had them be barely 8k or just under 9k (i think the hottest i had was 8.97k). sometimes you might get a set with a hotter neck pickup, sometimes you might get a set with a hotter bridge pickup.

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The bridge pickup in my maple necked '72 jazz died a year ago, in the process of replacing them I tried many different sets. Compared to traditional single coils (Fender, etc.) the Antiquity IIs have more bottom and the high end is voiced a little lower. I like that single coil snap and zing so I didn't care for them.
    I greatly prefer Nordstrand SV for that complex single coil tone minus the hum. I've got a set of Nord single coils on order, I'm anxious to see how they match up to the SVs. I also like Dimarzio Area J. They have a lower output than the Nords but have more high end and less bottom.

4. Interesting, how much does the amount of wire do for characteristics? Besides just more or less output?

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its really not even that noticeable in regards to output. its more tone. when the pickups are lower 8k, they have more extended, glassy (but not brittle) highs. the higher 8k pickups have the low mid bump and lower voiced highs.

heres a post i made a while back in the j pickup mega thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/j-pickups-discussion-comparisons-91384/index18.html#post7489807
    since then ive had more sets of antiquities (and had mj at the duncan custom shop rewind my 62 jazz neck pickup), sjb 1's, nordstrand nj4's, and ive got some sheptones and hansons waiting to be tested out.

6. Interesting. Digging the Antiquity II's sound all right in that sound clip you recorded with a Coppolo preamp.

In the meanwhile, I ordered these things off of eBay and will have them by tomorrow. Can't wait to get them installed. Just doesn't compare to the stock pickups IMO.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    cool. keep in mind that particular sound happened because the neck pickup was at 8.1k it came stock wound to 8.97k. huge difference in tone there.