Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz Bass Humbucking Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by derylgallant, Sep 13, 2016.

1. derylgallant

derylgallant Bassist from Prince Edward Island, Canada

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    Has anyone used these? I can't find a single review online....

Apollo Jazz Bass

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i guess "online" didn't include right here on TB? ;)

(haven't heard them myself but consensus around here is pretty positive; being split-coils, they should have more balls than any stack-type.)

3. derylgallant

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    Haha yes you're right.... but even on TB i could only find that one thread with people talking about how they liked the sound on the promo video.,not having actually used them...

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    From Seymour Duncan: "Linear humbucking pickup set for Jazz bass adds punch and articulation missing from standard Jazz bass pickups while minimizing noise."

I never knew Jazz pickups lacked punch and articulation. :laugh:

I do sometimes wonder about the workflow of the major pickup builders. I've recently been shopping for Telecaster (guit*r) pickups. It almost seems like they build a pickup to fairly arbitrary specs, give it a good listen and then word the marketing blurb to try and turn the characteristics into positive features. This new pickup has an offensive spike in the high-mids? That is a modern tone, rich in clarity and definition to you and me!

MSIMSBASS and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  5. derylgallant

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    so that's a no, you haven't tried them? :)

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, I like them, but you ain't gonna get an unbiased review (but I really like em).

tomich and derylgallant like this.
  7. derylgallant

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    \
    do you have them installed? what style of music do you use them for? any recordings? :)

8. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    I just installed them on a MIM J. I play fusiony/progressive rock stuff. This bass hasn't been recorded, yet, though.

derylgallant likes this.
  9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I just had my tech install them today in my Momose 70's Jazz and hated them. VERY mid forward and none of the classic JB bite. I suck at writing reviews but I'm going to be testing out that 21 day return thing on Duncan's site.

10. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Really? Mine sound a lot like a classic J. Strange.

11. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    So, it turns out my tech wired them out of phase. Arwin at SD fixed this problem for me. Discount my previous comments as the raving of a lunatic. Apologies to my pickups. These sound pretty awesome.

tomich, juliang, QuickNasty and 2 others like this.
  12. derylgallant

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    ahh haha..that'll do it..

any chance you can do a recording or sorts...nothing fancy.. finger style if possible..and a side of fries.. haha ( sorry I know I'm asking a lot )

13. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, happy that is sorted out. I know mine don't have that many mids. I was trying to think of what could be wrong, and my first thought was the wiring, too. But I wouldn't have guessed out of phase. It almost sounds as if they were wired in series or something. Happy that Arwin sorted it out!

tomich, MSIMSBASS and derylgallant like this.
  14. derylgallant

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    Hey Adam...how are you liking these pups?

15. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    they sound great. I like 'em.

Zoobiedood and derylgallant like this.
  16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    seriously?

there are four wire colors, and specific instructions as to where they go. for a "tech" to get it wrong is frankly a bit bizarre, he would have to deliberately wire one pickup differently than the other.

also, this implies that your main tone setting here is both pickups on at the same time, which frankly eliminates the need for individually humbucking pickups in the first place.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This has to be the least exciting TB response to new Jazz pups, especially for a company like SD, that I think I've ever seen. There's next to zero feedback on these things since they were released. I can only surmise that nobody cares, or that people are very happy with their chosen brand of split J's. Wassup wit dat?

tomich and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  18. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    K. I actually favor the neck pickup quite a bit...and they were available with amazon prime shipping...and they are higher output than what I had installed(which is what I was wanting)...and the bass has a series/parallel switch which seemed to have confused him.

19. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, kind of up there with the fender super 55s, which came and went without ever really seeing the light of day.

in that instance, a few TB raves about the 55s is kind of all that ever did happen, they never made it out to any dealers or onto any stock basses.

iiipopes likes this.
  20. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    These aren't even four wire pickups. They're two conductor with a shield.

I think SD's a bit late to split J pickups, aren't they?

I wouldn't have even considered them if there were widely available and relatively inexpensive classic voiced Fender Jazz V-sized split pickups. I actually ordered Bartolini first before realizing that since Bartolini is one conductor, I wouldn't be able to do my preferred series/parallel wiring. And it helps that SD looks more classic than Bartolini, too.

In fact, this looks and sounds very classy. By the way, anybody planning to use the Reggie Hamilton control plate on their stock bass, don't do it. I mean, I did it, but I'm the kind of person who takes a Dremel to a brand new bass. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021