Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan Basslines/Aguilar Preamp? Good combo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 24, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, im getting that custom Salas, and think of this combination. Anyone got any thoughts? The other options (im sticking with those pickups) would be a bartolini 2-band, which i dont want, and then the seymour duncan 3 band. Did i make a good choice?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what kind of basslines pickups? i would go for the duncan 3 band pre-amp, i have that on my doubleneck and my fretted bolton - great sounding preamp. along with 3 bands, it also has a pull-pot that you can set as a boost/cut with surface-mounted pots on the preamp itself - you can use it as a slap contour, or as a solo boost.

i dig the pee out of my duncan music man pickup on my 8 string, but i also really really really love and recommend the lane poors for soap bars. i got them on most of my 7 strings.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, too bad Lane Poors arent available! Id like some. THey are the basslines soapbars...thats all i know! Because of your recommendation, i got the Seymour Duncan 3 band. The Aguilar is only a 2 band, and i needs my mids. So thanks John! They owe you commission! :) Sounds cool, i like the little switches...fun to play with!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good for you. hey, if you keep listening to me, soon, before you know it, you too will be enjoying the many benefits of 7stringdom. :D

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, nah, i like the feeling of some good hard six. :D

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My most recent Hoyt custom five string has an Aguilar preamp on board and I'm going to swap it out for a Bart as soon as it arrives. It's a 2 band, boost only, and I get the feeling the EQ points are aimed at slap bass- none too subtle big-time bass boost comes on far too quick and the treble seems EQ'd a bit too high.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ooooo, ick, im glad i changed! Thanks Bob!