1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Basslines "Ripper" pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Lowe Down, Apr 9, 2010.

1. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    Anyone out there used the Seymour Duncan Basslines Gibson Ripper replacement pickups? These were designed for the Ripper II Gibson released a few years back and supposedly fit in the old Ripper as well.

I am rebuilding my old '80 Ripper - it has fallen apart almost literally. The original pickups are shot. I think the windings are trash and I get no measurable resistance with a multimeter. The Bridge pup registers tiny bits of sound and the Neck pup is worthless. They were never smoking pickups as long as I have had the bass.

I have Seymour Duncan QPs on my J and really like them. I am curious what the Ripper pups sound like. Obviously the originals were very muddy - I think folks refer to them as mudbuckers, right? Anyone with a Ripper II or someone who had them aftermarket would be helpful.

Also, I am curious about the mounting options. I wrote SD about this and never got a response. It looks like they mount right to the body flush, rather than the 3 spring loaded screws like the old ones. Again, anyone with these pups firsthand would be awesome to chat with.

They are custom order pups and hard to find 2nd hand, so I want to do my research before buying. I am just starting refinishing the body so if I need to buildup the control cavity for mounting, now would be the time.

TIA

2. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    bump.....no one has a Ripper II or has swapped these in? Bueller? Bueller?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    As far as I know they are exact reproductions of the original Bill Lawrence designed pickups.

4. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    Thanks. If so then they should sound like the originals back when they worked well.

5. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    gonna get them for my ripper that has been sittin for almost a year. Wish that they were a little cheaper $300 for the set is alot. Do think it will be worth it though. Have not been let down with any basslines pickups yet, have a qp jazz set and a qp pbass. Definitely good pickups in my opinion.