Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan Basslines SSB-4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Salizander, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    Has anyone had any experience with these yet? I was hunting around for a pair of decent & inexpensive passive soapbars for a project & I've liked other Seymour Duncan I've tried but haven't been able to find any opinions on these. Thanks for any opinion/descriptions!

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    bump

I don't have an answer, but I'm interested in these myself.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    +1

With the number of basses out there factory loaded with the HZ, I'm really surprised this pickup hasn't been discussed more. Those basses would be a lot more attractive if we knew there was a good non-EMG replacement option.

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have a couple sets in stock but unfortunetly haven't put them in anything yet to give them a try out. Hopefully soon ...

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm also really curious about a set of the SSB5 to replace the mightymite pickups in my Conklin GT5. Warmoth sell the sets really cheap, about the same as a single EMG. Pity they're not 4 wire.

6. sadd3j

sadd3j

Jan 9, 2006
    I'm also be interested in an answer to this, I'm currently using EMG HZs and find them a little bland.

7. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm bringing this topic back from the dead as opposed to starting a new one...has anyone here used the Seymour Duncan SSB-4? I'm currently deciding between that, a bartolini, and an EMG35DC. Looking for a nice growl and some low end from the pickups

8. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    does no one know?...

9. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups
    I'll give it a go. I had a set of SSB-5s in a Warmoth Gecko for a long time. I replaced them for Nordie DCs, but I'm actually putting the SSBs back into a new body cause I missed them...

So, the basic tone is punchy and tight. It was a little reminiscent of a Stingray, with maybe a little more pronounced mid range. Very nice growl, and well balanced sound. The lows are deep, but not overpowering. They sound like a ceramic pickup vs. the more open sound of Alnico magnets. They are clear and present in the high end, but certainly not as open as a single coil.

Overall, I really like them and would consider pairing them with a preamp for more versatility. They can benefit from a slight boost around 3kHz.

BTW - I sold the Nordies and the walnut Gecko body to rebuild the bass with an Alder body and the SSBs. After listening back to some sessions with the SSBs, it was a really nice supportive, organic, yet modern tone.

stanknuckle likes this.
  10. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Sounds like you were using them strictly passive/no preamp. Is that right?
    Thanks!

11. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups
    Yeah - strictly passive.

I may put a preamp in the new body. Haven't decided on what, though.

12. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks that helps a lot! I was thinking of pairing it with the Seymour Duncans STC-3 preamp. That preamp comes in active and passive versions...so would you recommend the active?

13. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    +1 Spot on. Sounds the same to my ears. A little less high end then what you're describing even with a pre but the bass itself is really, really warm sounding acoustically and I have no idea how old the strings were when I bought it a few months ago nor what kind.

14. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    I just put them in a Dean Edge Fretless I wanted to turn into a passive bass.

Everything is great about them. Excellent tone, punch and, above all, sustain.