Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan Basslines

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGENERAL, Feb 15, 2002.

1. BassGENERAL

BassGENERAL

Dec 8, 2001
    I was thinking about getting these pickups for my Fender P-bass, are they any good?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes.

Are they the best choice for you? That is impossible to say without knowing what kind of tone you're looking for.

3. Some folks are happier with the Hot P, other like the hotter Quarter Pound for P.

I spoke with a guy recently who just installed a Bill Lawrence P-46 and he says it is voiced the same as the SD Hot P.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a SD basslines QP in my MIM P, & I'm extremely happy about it! Great P'up. Turned that bass into a raging monster.
    I heartily endorse this product!

5. I personally endorse the Hot P. I tried the QP and hated it; it was too artificial and "scooped" sounding (not to mention distorted), which is 100% not what i personally want in a P. I tried the Hot P and was blown away. As thick as a couch potato's ass, as someone on this board described it. Fat and full sounding with a great deal of punch, as if someone hit you in the stomach with boxing gloves. If i owned a P-bass i would replace the pup with the hot for p in an instant.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of the big plusses in regard to Basslines is that you have a certain amount of time, (3 weeks I think), to send them back for a refund.

Sure, it's a hassle/a cost to take them out but at least you aren't forced to live with them.

It also indicates they must get very few, if any, returned.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo, of all the P pickups Ive tried, I havent found one I like better than the stock MIA pickup.

DiMarzio offers a return option too, which is pretty cool to say the least.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmmmmmm...I'm glad I stopped by.

I am in the process of taking one of my P-J basses & putting back to its original P-status(if I could recall where I put the original '64 pickup, I'd be set, but no...that was over 15 years ago & I have no clue where I put it!).
    Anyway-
    I was seriously considering the Basslines' QP; so, the consensus here is-
    The "Hot P" is where it's at?

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Jim K,

The P-Bass "Hot" and the Jazz "Hot Stack" make a great combo for a P+J. The stack is a humbucker and eliminates the J-Pickup noise issue in these basses.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jwy-
    ...thanks. It's been awhile since I 'updated' that P-bass of mine(1984?); if I recall, I think it's a Duncan QP P pickup + a Duncan Hot Stack J pickup(bridge).
    Back then, that combo really fit in with the 10-piece/horn band I played in; nowadaze, this bass sounds really 'retro' & old skool.
    Maybe my hearing has changed? ;)

After I finish with this project, my sole P-J will be the bass with the Lane Poors...I'm pretty happy with that combo(for now).

11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the quarter pounders in my MIM P bass special and they are very angry and aggressive sounding. I would describe the sound as pissed off. Yeah, a pissed off pickup. Kind of a throaty growl, like the way wrestlers talk to the crowd on WWF. Good rock pickup.

12. Did anybody replace the split-P in their MIM P with a SD? If so, please detail your observations.

I have a brand new MIM P4 that is getting a Gotoh 201 bridge in a couple days, and I'm thinking about replacing the pickup with better electronics.