Seymour Duncan Biamp 8000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

Sorry i did a seach and had a look on the harmonycentral reviews but didn't turn up much.

there is one of these for sale at a music swap shop around town here, i didn't get a chance to play it. wondering if anyone has any experience or has one etc...

they also had a fernandes japanese jazz copy that was really cheap! just needed a set up and it was less than half the price of a japanese fender...
  2. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
  3. I'm not familiar with that model, but I stumbled on a few Seymour Duncan Research Model KTG-1 King Tone Generator preamps and a Seymour Duncan Research Model KTG-2100 Tube King Tone Generator Stereo Tube Power Amp (Nice name!) some time ago. These models are designed for guitars, and they sound fantastic (with guitars).

An electronics tech checked them out and said they exhibited very good to excellent build quality, and a fully loaded feature set. Guitar players try to buy this stuff from me all the time (after they hear it), for a lot more than I paid. I don't know if my units are in any way similiar to the one you are looking at, but I would be intrigued.

My limited experience with these things is that not many folks have ever heard of SD's amp gear, so they can often be had for "the right price". On the other hand, not many guitar guys know enough about bass to be of much good to us. The guitar stuff is designed for carefully controlled distortion, which is not too useful to most of us.
  4. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I use a 100w Seymour Duncan Convertible for small gigs on bass, and recording guitar. Their amp department never did well, which is a shame, because this is a beautiful piece of machinery. Based on the sound and build quality of their other amp gear, I wouldn't hesitate if I were in your shoes.
  5. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I owned and used one back in the early 90's with a pair of Eden 210 cabs. Sweet sounding pre (reminds of EBS). I didn't use the biamp feature.

if it's in really nice shape I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
    Great sounding head. Clear sweet high's and nice tight bottom.

Not that it matters, but Billy Dickens endorsed them back in the day.
  6. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks guys,

might go back and play it.
  7. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Did you get it? I have that amp as secondary amp and it's amazing...
  8. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    No, i didn't, but i wonder if its still there, i'll check on there site... hmmm, got me thinking about this one again.

why do you like the head atoni? what would you say it sounds like?

9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    dave, are you happy with the GK tone? if you are, then i would purchase a poweramp like a crown xls602 for around $800.

EDIT: i have just been to the 'bay, and there are a couple of poweramps for sale there. a rmx 1450, mackie 1400, crest LT1000.
  10. dcortes

May 22, 2011
    I know NOTHING about the electronics of matching amp to speakers, impedences, ohms, etc. I'm getting an SD8000 biamp, 800 watts. I'd like to get an old Ampeg SVT410he or an new Ampeg B410he.

Of the 2 cabs, which would you get and why?

Will these cabs work with the SD8000, or will they be overpowered and blow the speakers?