1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chinguschild, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Heres The low down. I been playing bass for 5 years or so now and well havent seen this head anywhere. Anybody have information on it or know anything. Its a seymour duncan bass 4000. Sounds great compared to other setups I have played which I considered to eb good equipment. Heres some pics.

DSCF0456.
    DSCF0455.

Those are old pics. Same amp but now I have a 410 XL on my 115.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I know Kyle Brock of Eric Johnson's "Tones" and "Ah Via Musicom" bands used a SD set up and a Hiwatt rig together. His sound was incredible.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I am thinking these came out around '85/86. I had the 800 head for a while. Mine had issues. Apparently they used a design with VERY tight tolerances, and then the supplier of parts shipped stuff outside those tolerances. That's the story I got anyway. Wirewould pots in the EQ. Mine made horrible noise (and no, it wasn't my playing! ) when you turned any of the EQ pots. When the amp worked, it sounded freakin' great and was louder than hell. I seem to recall bridging it into an old SVT 8x10 cab.

If yours works, it'll work forever. Great tone, solid power.

4. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Thatnks for the help. I kinda knew a little but was unsure about the era. Atleast now I have a guesstimate. Myne works great. Im yet to have an issue. I did have one problem but it was the volume pot. I just replaced it and it worked just fine from there out.

5. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    I have Seymour Duncan Biamp 8000 as secondary amp and that's a one helluva amp. Got a really good deal of it in 90's when I bought it and it's still working like a dream.

It seems that Bass 4000 is same amp like Biamp 8000 without biamping features. You can download Biamp 8000 manual here http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/biamp_8000.pdf

6. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I have the older one which is the same, but called the Bass
    400-
    Solid state, loud as hell, stays super-clean, big plus is it
    runs 600 watts @ 2 ohms-
    I paid $700 bucks in 1987,never had any issues, 'cept for scratchy pots-

7. I picked up a Seymour Duncan Bass 4000 amp from GC Tampa last fall and I feel very fortunate to own one of these rare amps.
    For reference, I've played bass for over 25 years. I play Jazz, Reggae, R&B,Funk usually, and have owned several other amps including Ampeg,Hartke,SWR, and Eden. My current main gigging amp/rig is a Gallien Krueger 2000 RB/Schroeder 1212 R and/or Eden 210 XST. I also own an Alembic F1X/QSC plx 2400 and Ashdown mag 400 and Acoustic Image Contra series 1(for upright bass). For most Jazz gigs my usual bass is Peavey Cirrus 5 or Roscoe LG 5 , and for Reggae more recently, Essex SR Musicman Stingray copy.(sorry if you missed out on this one time offering from Rondo Music).
    At present the SD 4000 is my favourite bass amp because of its pristine tonal clarity, power and simplicity.Its also totally quiet and built like a tank. It leaves my music room/studio only on very special occasions and paired up with Acme Lo B 210's, I consider this my studio reference rig. (I'm also interested in ckecking out the Markbass gear when they arrive at GC).
    I had to have mine serviced immediately after i got it, but it's worked flawlessly since then. If you ever come accross one of these I'd say grab it without hesitation. It's a shame they don't make them anymore.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    My experience with several of Seymour Duncan's amps has been great. I don't own the bass rig, although I know someone who does, but from what I've seen, it was all good design, with advanced features for the time, and very well built. Sounds fantastic. I've taken the 100w guitar combo I've got to low-volume gigs involving my upright or theater work, and it's worked like a champ. Fantastic for guitar, too, of course.

The only issues I've seen or heard of have to do with the fact that most of the amps are pushing 20 years old, and weren't properly maintained. I'd pick up any of the bass amps at the drop of a hat, but the only guy I know who owns one will let it go when his cold, dead hands can't clutch it any longer.

9. Subruban

Subruban

Feb 6, 2013
    I own a Bass 400 and it is a wonderful amp, very clean and very powerful. Can run at 8, 4 and 2 ohms to an impressive 600w. Played it mostly through an 810 Ampeg Cab and even at 2, it is very loud.
    I had mine totally refreshed by a tech, haven't have one single problem since.

10. Subruban

Subruban

Feb 6, 2013
    The best bass ss amp I've heard

11. Subruban

Subruban

Feb 6, 2013
    I own one these babies for quite a while now, although it is a heavy piece of equipment, it's worth it's weight in great sound, major low ends and rich mids and very loud and powerful. Great for live and studio.

12. i would imagine that, after seven years, any point you add will be moot!