Seymour Duncan Humbucker in a MIM Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassclarinet7, Jul 23, 2001.

1. bassclarinet7

bassclarinet7 Guest

Jul 5, 2001
    I own a MIM Fender Jazz Bass with stock pickups. I'm planning on getting new pickups in it soon.(looking at seymour duncan) How much work would it be for a tech to put one jazz pickup in either the bridge or neck position, and a humbucker in the other, If it's worth it. Which spot is better in your opinions for the humbucker. Is seymour duncan a good idea, or should I just sit down and shut up?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm in the midwest, too, but definitely south and west of you. However, I wouldn't think tech costs would vary much. If the tech charges by the job, $35-$50 is common. If they charge by the hour, figure about $30 an hour, IME. YMMV.

You're talking about putting a bucker where a J style pup is, so the routing involved will drive the cost.

I'm going to be ordering a Seymour Duncan pup and tone circuit, coincidentally. (So, you know what my opinion is of your idea).

However, I can't give you an answer on the pup location question because I don't know if you're talking about one of their humbucking P style pups or their MM style???
  3. bassclarinet7

bassclarinet7 Guest

Jul 5, 2001
    The humbucker in question is their 4DS Bassline Pickup. The othe pickup is a Vintage Jazz Bass Pickup (standard j bass)
    I don't knowif this helps but there you go.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The only "4d" they show at their website is the MM-style bucker, (no "4ds"). But, that's not unusual.

As a matter a fact, just this morning, I ordered their alnico MM and the SCTM 3-Band Tone Circuit with the slap contour switch from Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop.

The 4d/4ds is a good pickup if you want something you can slap silly and sounds like a Stingray that got fuel-injection and dual quads. This design of pickup is normally put in the bridge position.

The Bass Gear Review website has this pickup reviewed and so does luthier David King, . I pretty sure Lakland, has it tested, too.

I think you'll find from most of the reactions, that the pickup is a beast - high output, lots of punch and thick mids and lows that are almost too much. However, they may have been using it with one of with the Basslines Tone Circuits, like the one I ordered. The Tone Cirucit lets you get everything the pickup has to give tonally.

If you don't mind the routing involved, the MM would be a nice and different tonal option from the single coil purity of the Jazz pickup, which typically emphasizes clear, glassy highs and lows. If you go to , click on "Gear" at the top of the page, then scroll down, you'll find a J pickup shootout on the right hand side of the page where they compare a ton of Jazz pickups.
  5. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The MM circuit is really nice if you don't mind the routing. Great slap circuit!!

One point though about the J-PUP. I don't think the Vintage would be a great match with the MM setup either tone or output wise. I think something like the "Hot Stack" might be better. More output, more modern tone and no noise (the stack is humbucking).

Black Rose Customs
    Seymour Duncan Dealer

P.S. I have an MIM Jazz that uses a "Hot Stack" set running through a J-Retro Preamp. It sounds awesome and is really quiet.