1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan Liberator: Use as Tone Control? Add Capacitor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by selowitch, Aug 8, 2012.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    1. You can use a Liberator pot either as a tone or as a volume control, right?

2. If using one as a tone control, how does one attach a capacitor?

Thanks!

2. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I would guess you can, as they are both audio taper pots (V&T). You'll have to figure out which screw corresponds to which lug on a regular tone control. I have no experience with this solderless control.
    From the back of a regular tone control, with the lugs facing left, one lead of the cap goes to the middle terminal of the pot and the other end of the cap goes to ground. The bottom leg on the pot goes to the same wire as where your pickup wire is. If you have more than one pickup and it's a single tone control, then the bottom terminal of the pot would be connected to where your output jack is.
    You'll have to provide more information if I haven't covered it. Is your bass a V/T + V/T, or V/V+ONE Tone or what?

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Just a good-ol' P-Bass. Volume and Tone. That's it. :smug:
    What about the capacitor?

4. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Use a .047uf. Doesn't matter what voltage. Any 25 or 50 volt cap will work.

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Thanks.

Actually, my question was how and where to attach the capacitor to the solderless pot.

6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I guess I still have to solder the connection from the tone pot to the jack, huh? I'm planning on putting in a Switchcraft one.

I tried visiting the SD Wiring Diagrams page, but they don't have anything so simple as a P-Bass schematic EDIT: for the Liberator Solderless system

7. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
  8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
  9. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    "I tried visiting the SD Wiring Diagrams page, but they don't have anything so simple as a P-Bass schematic".
    I thought you wanted a P-Bass schematic. I can't help you.
    Good luck.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes, I'm sorry for any confusion.

In the context of this thread, the need is for a P-Bass Schematic using the Liberator Solderless system. I was hoping that would be understood in context.

11. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
  12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out, and it's great advice. Unfortunately, that doesn't address my question of how to do it using the Liberator system. I already own it, I've paid for it, and I want to use it.

Maybe I'll just use this schematic, ignoring the bridge pickup and the selector switch.

It looks like you stick one lead to the capacitor right in one of the ports and tighten the screw (no solder). That's nifty.

13. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    That should work.
    No problem. Glad to help a fellow P-basser.

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    :) Thanks.