Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan MM pickup in Warwick FNA?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ryan L., Jun 2, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have heard a couple people say that it would be worth while to replace the stock MEC MM style pickup in my Warwick Corvette FNA 4 with the Seymour Duncan Basslines pup. The bass already has the Basslines preamp on it.

My question is: What would the advantages be for me to replace the stock pup with the SD one??

Who else makes a replacement pup that could be dropped in with no mods to the bass (aside from the normal soldering)??

Thanks
    RYan

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Ryan, I've tried many Warwick's & never liked the sound of the MEC p/u's. If you like the sound that you are getting out of it, I personally wouldn't change the p/u. If you don't like it, the Duncan is a nice p/u. I have one in a MM copy (passive) & it sounds really good. Other options for a MM style p/u is Carvin, Kent Armstrong & Bartolini. There might be other's but I'm not sure.

Good luck.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I really like my mec pickups in my corvette pro line! But ive heard alot of folks say they dont like them!

4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, it's not that I am really unhappy with the stock pup. I was just thinking along the lines of improving on what I already have. I guess my main question would be whether or not it would make a noticable improvement in the tone of the bass?

Ryan

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah id say it change this around alot!

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I think I am gonna break down and buy one and stick it in there. The worst that can happen is that I won't like it and I will have to put the old one back in.:D

But on the other hand, if it makes an already great sounding bass sound better, what the heck, it's money well spent.:D:D

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have an FNA4 with the MEC pick up and I love it!
    That thing has all kinds of tone. Instead of changing the pick up maybe you might want to try some different strings first.

8. My thoughts would have to be keep the stock pickups for now, and change them when you get tired of the tone, if you ever do, or until you really want to try something different. i've heard many people say bad things about mec pickups, but they sound good to me.

9. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have an FNA 5 with Basslines preamp and MEC pickup,and I find the sound quite appealing.FWIW Warwick used to put both Basslines pre and Pickup in the FNAs,but they went to the MEC in 1998 (I think).We can only speculate if this change is related to the amount of time it took someone to back engineer the SD (just kidding!) Anyway,if it was me I'd chamge strings,maybe get a better cable,and learn a new song or two before considering surgery...

10. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    FWIW, I used to own an older FNA with the Basslines pickup and I like the tone of the newer ones w/MEC pickups better. My older FNA cut like a knife -- lots of midrange -- but it was hard to get the bass to sit under the mix rather than slice through it. Whatever you like...