1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan MM pickup/preamp sound like a real MM?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndyPanda, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Anyone have experience using the SD MM pickup and preamp? Curious how close it comes to nailing the sound of a real StingRay?

Edit: I was just looking and only saw the 3-band MM preamp from SD. I thought they sold the 2-band MM version. Though I did see an inexpensive SD 2-band, it didn't say "music man" anywhere in the description.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    The 2 band preamp (I am guessing you mean the STC-2A) is made for any bass that needs a 2 band preamp, and has 2 active pickups. The STC-2P is designed for passive pickups. As far as a Stingray pickup/preamp combo in a bass that isn't a Stingray actually nailing the sound of a real Stingray- I think it is awesome! Especially if the construction is the same as a real Stingray. I've played the SMB-4Ds preamp/pickup combo in a Sterling brand bass, and it sounded better than a few actual Stingrays.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    heres a great a/b someone did in a 3 band ray. they replaced the original guts with an alnico duncan and duncan pre. youll hear that duncan setup loses a lot of bite and upper midrange that the ray has. id attribute most of that to the pre. the stock 3 band pre has much more bite than a musicman 2 band pre. ive used the smb4a in a ray with a stock 2 band pre and that pickup had more upper midrange bite than the stock pickup. even with the more midrangey duncan pickup, when paired with the duncan pre, the ray sounds way more polite.

4. Thanks! This is really helpful!

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I used the Duncan Stingray preamp in my ‘94 SR. It was more versatile than the original 3-band, but as noted above, it was more polite. When I spoke to SD tech support on a noise issue (the stock MM pickup does not have a ground wire) the tech told me that they basically took the classic 2-band and turned it into a 3-band...hence the politeness.
    I would definitely install it into another bass, I liked it a lot.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ime, id take what tech support says with a grain of salt.

AndyPanda likes this.